T-2 Lighting Fixture Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

H2OGarden

AC Members
Nov 10, 2009
Louisiana USA
T-2 Light Too Good To Be True? Beginner Needs Help!
I'm a beginner at planted tanks. I researched cheap but effective medium to high lighting for a 14" long 5.5g rimless tank. This is what I found for $28: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Aquariumbulb.html The T-2 8 watt fixture near the middle of the page, kinda blended into the writing.

Is this any good, and do you have a way to mount it over a rimless tank? Can it be mounted in a custom wood case that's much more attractive, and if so how?

Thanks,

Terri

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Terri, I never heard of these guys and did not for that matter know there was such a thing as a T2 bulb. So I am unable to recommend either.

that said, based on the claims at that link this may be the most spectacular thing ever invented for us teeny tank/high lighting fans. I think you should get one and then let the rest of us know how the purchase went and how the product works. It is only through experiment that the Truth may be known and progress, um, progressed. We appreciate your contribution to the advancement of science here. :)

H2OGarden

AC Members
Nov 10, 2009
Louisiana USA
Thanks for your response. I guess for $28 it would be worth it to be the guinea pig and let everyone know.

Just know I'm a beginner, so problems might be my fault, not the lighting's. :)

Plague

O.o
Aug 4, 2010
Miami, Fl
I've heard/seen T-2. Just don't know much about it since. Never thought of getting them either since they look small and weird =P

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
T2 lighting has been around for years...just not so much in the aquarium industry. I've worked with hundreds of T2 linkable fixtures when I worked for a Trade Show exhibit building company and the thought of using them for aquariums certainly crossed my mind back then.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
heck yeah... go for it. i'm using t3 spiral cfl's on my 30... been for a couple years now... and t2 straight bulbs superseded them. i just couldn't readily source a color i thought would be appealing back then.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store