Talk about an ammonia spike!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

daj24601

AC Members
Apr 1, 2005
So, I have been complaining to my "fish friends" that I haven't seen the traditional ammonia spike all the reading speaks about. You know, the ammonia spike which should be followed by a nitrite spike, then followed by both going to zero while the nitrates raise to a healthy level. Well, how is 8ppm for a spike?! I know, way to high. We took imediate action, 50% water change, ammo lock and individually treated each of the five new gallons with Prime. Now, I know that my tap water naturally has about 2ppm, but I am sure the prime + ammo lock will make it safe for my 3 fish, right? Hopefully this is just a sign that my tank is starting to cycle. We put more live plants in as well, some nice grass, a small buch spread out over the floor of the tank. Maybe that will help.

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
Ammonia and plants

Stop using the ammo lock, just use Prime.

Prime will release the ammonia and let the biological filter get started, using AmmoLock will not release the ammonia and the bacteria never get going well.

I suggest doing another very large water change to get rid of the ammolock in the tank. Plus, you have live plants, they will absorb ammonia as it is released from the Prime.

I have not used ammolock except when I want to be sure that the ammonia stays locked up forever, as in transporting fish. I have read of tanks that never cycled after 3 or 4 months when AmmoLock was used.

rohnds

AC Members
Jun 19, 2004
Austin, TX (Born NYC)
www.geocities.com
Buying using the ammo lock, you are starving the nitrifying bacteria, thus preventing or slowing the bacterial colony from blooming.

Rohn

ariston

AC Members
Mar 22, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Stop using the ammo lock, just use Prime.
Hmmm... If you just spiked to 8 ppm, you might well lose fish if you stop using the ammo-lock altogether at this point. Some ammonia is needed for the cycle to get going, to be sure, but it sounds like you'll have way too much, if you give up on the ammo-lock now, especially if your tap water coming in has 2 ppm.

Here's a thought: you could keep using the ammo lock in your main tank for now, and do a fishless cycle in another tank. You could buy a cheap five-gallon tank, fill it with Prime-treated tap water, and stick in a cheap sponge filter. If your tap water has 2 ppm ammonia to start with, that's enough to get the fishless cycle going. Once the ammonia starts to drop, you'll need to replenish it, perhaps by doing a water change from your ammonia-laden (but prime-treated) tap water, or better, by skipping the water change and adding a small amount of pure ammonia -- you can read up on all this in the posts and articles on fishless cycling. It will take a while for the small tank to cycle (maybe a month or more), and during that time, keep using the ammo lock in your main tank to protect your fish. But once the small tank cycles, you could do a large water change in the main tank (avoid using ammo-lock in the new water), and then add the cycled sponge filter into the main tank. This would result in a much more controlled and less stressful fishy cycle in the main tank, I would think.

If the fishless-cycle-in-another-tank isn't feasible, you still might want a fractional dose of the ammo lock, and test your ammonia daily. Someone else can probably better recommend what the ammonia levels should be during a fishy cycle, but I'm guessing you want something in the range of 0.25 ppm to 1.0 ppm, depending on how hardy your fish are.

Last edited:

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
large water change

I'd do a very large water change and try to reduce the tank to as near to 2ppm as possible, and treat with Prime only. Prime will treat the ammonia and the chloramine and still let the biofilter work. Your plants will work to absorb the ammonia also, once it is available. You might also add more floating plants like anachris or other stem plants to suck that up. Floating plants have the boost of having all the CO2 they need and so are never CO2 limited, like the sumberged pants may be.

ariston

AC Members
Mar 22, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Yeah, but the Prime will handle that amount of ammonia easily.
Hm, so what is the Prime doing differently from the Ammo-lock? I read in a different post that Prime binds ammonia into ammonium, but I thought that (a) ammonium just IS what ammonia turns into when dissolved in water, and (b) ammonium is still toxic to fish.

No?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store