Tank Balance

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SunsetPisces

AC Members
Feb 12, 2009
Kane County, IL
Does anyone know how important it is for a glass 29 gal to be absolutely level both ways? We just filled one that is level across the front, but there is a difference of almost 1/4" when viewed from the side (front to back). We would have to empty the tank again and shim the back edge of the stand. It is on carpet and there may be some variation in the wear of of the carpet or pad that close to the wall; it could settle down with time? Want to get it right before we add fish. :confused: Thank you.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
For me, level it in both directions.

jwddboy

An Oddball Man
Apr 8, 2006
It's often considered a personal preference...
However also consider the weight of the water. Someone once worked out on here the exact pressure exerted on the glass of the aquarium to be amazingly high. Tanks are designed to be level, if they are at an angle, you'll get a higher pressure on one side. It may not matter - and I'm sure manufacturers design it with some extra give - but honestly its better to be safe. Especially if you aren't using thickened glass.

SunsetPisces

AC Members
Feb 12, 2009
Kane County, IL
Level Tank

Thanks for the advice; tank is now shimmed and we will watch for any further settling of the carpet.

Got my first fish for it today. Found four smallish white "black skirt" tetras in our lps and bought them all, as they don't always get them. They will look great against the dark background I have ordered. It's pretty bare in there right now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store