Tank Cleaning and LR Cleaning

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

valcard

AC Members
Mar 1, 2007
First questions will be on the tank cleaning.
Got a 55gal tank from a friend of my wife for free, stand included. Tank was used for lizards unfortunately and has lime build up from a water dish in it. On top of that it seems the dish was velcrow to the bottom of tank and the strips are still in it.
Can the tank be used for any fish?
How would I clean the tank to make it safe for fish use?

Next question is on LR cleaning.
Tank been up for 3 to 4 years with 57 lbs of lr. When son was born all funding went to him and tank fell behind big time. Tank was over run by hair algea. Was thinking of placeing lr in a no light container to get rid of algea. Have a maroon golden stripe clownfish and a green chromes fish in tank.
Any help on proper way of do the no light way to get of algea?
Or a different way to do it that may be better?

Looking to do this before june 5, have a 5 day trip planed.
Thanks in advance for all help.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Well, putting it in a no-light container will work, also probably stuff that eats hair algae.

Good Luck.

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
You need a clean up crew...hermit crabs and snails will clean the live rock. Black outs will also kill any coraline you have on the rock.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
true, but hermits can be pests to some corals, and they are scavengers so if they run out of food they will eat anything that cant get away or hurt them back.

valcard

AC Members
Mar 1, 2007
Using a 10 gal gray storage container for the lr. Thinking about using a heater and powerhead to have water moment. How long should the lr be in container, 1 or 2 weeks or shorter, longer? Should water changes be done while in their? Was thinking about doing it twice a week of 2 gal. Anyone know of a cleaning method for 55 gal tank? Thanks once agin for the replys.

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
I'm too worried I'd kill off good things to do the blackout method. I use turbo snails for my nuisance algae, they can consume quite a bit! I also have a very greedy yellow tang who likes to nibble on hair algae when it appears!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I tried turbos b4, i've never had much luck with them...

fishiefishie

AC Members
Nov 12, 2006
I can't really help with the LR other than to say I would add a CUC, myself.
As for the 55 g, use vinegar to get the velcro off. You may have to soak it for a while, but it will come off with a good razor/scraper thing.
I'd also clean the whole tank with vinegar and water, scrubbing it well. Then I'd wash it in bleach/water to make sure you got it all. Just remember to rinse, rinse, rinse!!! And I'd add some de-chlorinator to the last batch of rinse water to be extra sure.

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
true, but hermits can be pests to some corals, and they are scavengers so if they run out of food they will eat anything that cant get away or hurt them back.
If you keep them in moderation, they will be fine with your corals. A total black out is going to kill some if not all of your live rock. Then your back to square one, you will go thru a cycle again, and the algae will return.

valcard

AC Members
Mar 1, 2007
The LR is about 90% covered with hair algea and is about a few inches in length. What if i scrub the LR down then darken it out for 2 or 3 days, how would that work out? Thanks for the help everyone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store