Tank Cleaning Service

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chinnp

In denial of MTS
Mar 24, 2005
I have seriously thought of doing this in the past, but have never done it. My current employer forbids me from taking on outside employment. My plan was to use a four wheel dolly with a plastic tub on it. I was planning on using this, and a python basically. I thought of having a wastewater tub and a clean water tub, but hadn't come up with a good way to pump water from the tank into the but. I can't say that I spent a lot of time on it either.

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
hadn't come up with a good way to pump water from the tank into the but. I can't say that I spent a lot of time on it either.
A Python tube will screw onto the end of a mag pump... although the exact size of the pump escapes me (possibly a 9?), I have personally seen this work. It helps immensely as far as filling a tank. It's the spot where you can separate the hose to add the extension hoses.

chinnp

In denial of MTS
Mar 24, 2005
I have a setup at home that I use, but it requires access to a faucet. Basically I have a 45g tub that I bought at Wal-mart for like $10-15. I drain the water into the bathtub using the Python, then pump water back into the 45g tub. I dechlorinate the water in the tub, then pump it back into the tank with an electric pump. If I had a rig that was a 4 wheel dolly with two tubs on it that didn't require access to a drain it'd be perfect. You could drain the water into the wastewater tub and already have a tub of clean water ready to go. Once you leave, you empty the tub of wastewater somewhere.

chinnp

In denial of MTS
Mar 24, 2005
I would also read standard small business books like Guerilla Marketing, Good to Great, etc... Running a small business can be both difficult and rewarding. Hook up with your local Small Business Association and see what you can find out. Are you going to be marketing toward individuals or businesses or both? Are you charging by the hour, drive time, tank size, type of tank, etc? All good things to consider. I'd also do everything I could to pay for stuff in cash as you go. Nothing is worse than a failed business (not that I'm saying you're going to fail) that you're paying for years later.

chrispy_fish

AC Members
Oct 21, 2008
Orange County, CA - USA
I considered this with a few of my friends and my girlfriend who are all into the hobby. One of my friends had a business name, license, and even a pricing chart based on tank size and mileage driven. He had great business in "the OC" as families would pay good money to have SW tanks set up in their vacation homes.

I've had several people ask me to maintenance their tanks or help them plumb their sump and have offered good cash to do something fun, but the insurance factor (or lack of it) scares me because anything can go wrong and people are going to try to screw someone for it. I would agree that you need INSURANCE.

Get friendly with your local fish stores and let them know who you are, what you do, etc... I have people come in asking if we set-up tanks, maintenance them, etc and usually have to send them away since I don't know anyone.

Lots of Business Cards!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store