Tank ideas - 175gallon!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pharoh08

AC Members
Oct 4, 2003
pa
Visit site
Originally posted by gideon
why does everybody love the pleco? messy(waste!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), doesn't do much for algae when large, and other than coming in interesting patterns and colors, a huge tank space hog!
Just something about them, that u gotta love, but im not sure what it is, as for me im big on just about all the catfish.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
I agree, Fishsmurf, for the most part. The only reason I didn't mention them though is, as you say, the fish can be pricey, but I don't think they they should be ruled out completely. I only brought up my points so as not everyone interested in discus would be turned away as they are gorgous and fun fish to keep, IMO :D.

However, I must say severums would be the "better" route in this case. After all, aren't they nicknamed the "poor man's discus"?

delmore

AC Members
Dec 2, 2001
New Jersey
www.uaru-forum.com
Albino or tiger Oscars, and some pl*cos sound like they would work great. Goldfish might also work, or even Koi, which no one mentioned. I think an Arrowana might be too big even for the 175 gallon tank - true?

Hopefully I can get fish that have outgrown their tanks. The tank will be in Northern NJ.

Thanks for all of the fine suggestions! If you have any other ideas please post them!

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
personally I would go with schools of fish like barbs, or angels, with some nice looking tetras, all are pretty and bright colors and most are big enough to see.
For the bottom maybe clown loachs as once they are there and established it shouldn't be hard to keep them at least that was my expierence. But then again my brother killed them with negligence/

travelinman1969

AC Members
Oct 23, 2003
Lost Nation, IA
Visit site
Yeah, an arowana would outgrow the 175 in time. You could keep a baby in there for 5-8 years, after that probably have to go bigger. Stick with the oscars, whatever you can find that looks good. Easy to care for, they eat anything and they grow quick. I would get 2 oscars and a large pleco. Maybe a bala shark or something to help keep the bottom clean, but make sure it'll get big enough the oscars won't eat em.

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
Hmmm... 175.... something weird I wanted to try:

5 red-belly piranha
50 neon tetra

When the piranha are big, they don't bother the tetra, to much a waste of time.

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
Originally posted by Bwana
No experience with them, but they're relatively big, and colorful...Discus?
He said NOT hard to care for :)

I suggest Cichlids as well, most are hardy and are generally tough.

and if you put 5 pirahna in with 50 neons you'd have 5 pirahna 3-4 days later.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store