Tank Light Bulbs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bdobosz

Jan 2, 2005
I am looking for bulb ideas for dimming my lighting a bit. I have 2* 36” light fixtures across my 210G tank that I feel are a little too bright. The fish tend to become far less active when they are on and most of my bottom feeders go into hiding until they are off. I don’t have any live plants so I am not worried about that. I have noticed some Cichlid tanks in pet shops have almost a blue tint to the lighting. Is that something that might be an option for my tank?

Plecosterone

We don't need no stinking badges!
Jan 25, 2007
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
home.cogeco.ca
Wow only 2x 36" lights on a 210G and it is too bright? Seems wierd to me but I have planted tanks. The blue lights you see in the LFS are probably actinic bulbs which are for salt water. You could use them but I would try one actinic and one daytime first. OR you could get lots more light and heavily plant your tank.
:headbang2:

Danyal

AC Members
May 20, 2007
i'd assume shoplights. if you want more blueish and subdued light then throwing in an actintic into each fixture and a higher kelvin bulb(like 20k) will give you much more dim and blue lighting. you could also try wiring in some LED ropes and running those for 8~10hrs a day and the t8s for 4~6hrs a day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store