tank mates for 3 occelatus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

leigh

AC Members
Apr 14, 2004
london , england
Visit site
I have 3 occelatus + 1 surviving fry in a 10 gal and was wondering what els i can put in there top or middle dwelling for obvious reasons if there is a member of the cichlid family i can put in with them i would prefer because of ph range is gonna be quite high for most tropicals i would imagine.

if any one has any suggestions on how i can extend my little cichlid family i would be grateful thanks in advance for any suggestions , bearing in mind it is a 10 gal size and numbers will matter i suppose?

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
3 L. ocellatus in a 10g is about all you can put in there. Anything else added will be picked on my the shellies, even a top dwelling fish. If you wanted a fish that swam around you shouldnt' have chosen shellies. They are bottom dwellers and rarely venture away from their shell. They are pretty cool to watch when they are moving and digging around their territory.

leigh

AC Members
Apr 14, 2004
london , england
Visit site
i appreciate every opinion which is why i came on here to ask my question in the first place because i dont 100% trust the opinion of my lfs as they would try to sell me fish for it even though ive been told im at max capacity even though i dont understand why it feels like im standing in the firering line it was not meant to sound like i wanted to see fish swimming around in my tank and my shellies are boring cause on the contrary i love my shellies i find them more then entertaining it was mearly so i did not make a mistake of adding fish to it when i now know i cant. i have a community set up were i cant see all of them swimming around qutie happily but are not as rewarding as watching my shellies.take that in to any context as you wish. :rolleyes:

thanks for the advice. :)

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
ok, I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I wasn't trying to be mean, just stating what i know. I'm sorry if i posted info that would make you feel this way.
i dont understand why it feels like im standing in the firering line it was not meant to sound like i wanted to see fish swimming around in my tank and my shellies are boring cause on the contrary
Its my experience that you shouldnt' add other fish to a 10g with shellies.

ps: i think you need to start adding punctuation as its very hard ot read your last post.

Last edited:

labont865

This is drako, a friend of a friend
Nov 26, 2004
valerie said:
3 L. ocellatus in a 10g is about all you can put in there. Anything else added will be picked on my the shellies, even a top dwelling fish. If you wanted a fish that swam around you shouldnt' have chosen shellies. They are bottom dwellers and rarely venture away from their shell. They are pretty cool to watch when they are moving and digging around their territory.

Sorry Valerie, but I can see how that was taken the wrong way, It does sound kinda condescending. I know it wasnt meant to be but it does. You have to remeber people cant hear the "tone" of your words through writing. So things that shouldnt come out rude can, if not written the right way.

Anywho,
Those three are quite a load but as long as you do frequent waterchanges and have a VERY good filter you could add one maybe two top dwellers.
Something semi-aggresive that stays fairly small. So not many choises.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store