Tank Mates for a Dwarf Lionfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AlwaysConfused

AC Members
Aug 24, 2004
What can i have w/ a fuzzy dwarf lion in a 26g setup, i am maybe thinking of flame angel for him, or what can it go w/ that is very bright and he wont swallow.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
In a 26, without a large sump, I wouldn't add anything. Lions are big bio-loads, and in a small tank, this means more concern for water quality. Adding another fish will just add more waste production.

Asfur

AC Members
Jan 26, 2005
Yep, Lionfish, MOrays, Triggers.. they all tend to be huge on the bioloads. this means a tank of this size would not hold much more.. anything that you could add in all reality would be considered Fuzzy food.

fishinak

AC Members
Apr 16, 2006
actualy in my experiance this is not a true statement. i have a fuzzy dwarf lion and a yellow tailed damsal and also a yellow tang all in my 20 gallon,fish only tank. I am having no problems with water conditions. Also i only use a biofilter for a 50 gallon tank and this is my only fitration. In addition i belive that you should be able to put about any other fish that you would like in your tank unless it can fit into its mouth. Fuzzy Dwarfs are not agressive fish but actualy pretty firendly.

p.s. People are starting to get stupid about how many fish can fit into a fish tank. I just read about somone with a 90 gallon tank and was concerned about adding more than 1 fuzzy dwarf lion into it. Have anyone ever seen dealers tanks. they put 5-6 fish into a 20 gallon and they do just fine.
-use this tip-dont always belive what every one thinks,salt water fish are not as finikey as most people think

jjirsa78

AC Members
Nov 21, 2005
fishinak said:
actualy in my experiance this is not a true statement. i have a fuzzy dwarf lion and a yellow tailed damsal and also a yellow tang all in my 20 gallon,fish only tank.
You're way overstocked. Research some of your fish: Live Aquaria says the Yellow Tang needs at least 50G ( http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=392&N=0 ), so ignoring the fact that the Lion is a messy eater (and consequently a larger bioload), you're already potentially overloaded.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Dealer tanks are not designed for long term health of the fish. They are for keeping the fish until they sell--sort of like the cages they keep dogs in at pet stores. Not a realistic long term home. What you can get away with in the short term, and what is in the long term, best interests of the fish are completely different. IF you choose to cram too many fish into your own tanks, that's your call. Advising others to do the same--and pulling up threads that are MONTHS old, is not really great. Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store