Tank mates for dwarf gourami

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Stasia

Registered Member
Nov 12, 2017
Hello all, I'm new to aquariums and this forum, but I have read quite a bit, so I know about the nitrogen cycle and some more of the basics. I have a 10 gallon tank at work that I've taken over and I'm looking to restock it. It had fish that needed more room which we couldn't provide, so I turned them over to a great LFS in the area and bought some plants to start making the tank over.
I really like the dwarf gourami's at that store and want to know if there are other fish they'd be happy with, like maybe corydoras? How about shrimp? If I got RCS, would they get eaten? How about ghost shrimp? They're bizarre looking little buggers. Any suggestions?
Thanks all.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I have six albino cory with a dwarf G and about 5 lemon tetras in a 29 gal....

Stasia

Registered Member
Nov 12, 2017
Hmmm... The guy at the pet store said that I shouldn't put tetras in since they use the same part of the water column.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
depends on the tetras and decor, IMO...a 10 is a lot smaller than my 29 also.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
A group of cories would be a great addition for a dwarf gourami. Cherry shrimp would most likely get picked off but ghost shrimp could work (depends on your gourami's temperament too). Amano shrimp would work best IMO, they get a bit bigger and are an excellent algae eater but will not reproduce in freshwater. A couple nerite snails could be nice as well.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Maybe dwarf corys since your tank is small. I haven't kept DG & dwarf corys together but it "should" be ok. Habrosus are quite cute & often available.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store