Tank mates for Oscars

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

friend of oscar

AC Members
Dec 1, 2001
Visit site
Once at a store I saw a 14 inch black shark beating up a 10 inch oscar and the oscar was missing all of its scales and its fins were ripped up pretty bad. Black sharks can get pretty big. You might could fit one in there and see how it would do but Id be careful.
I have right now a rainbow shark with my oscar. They do just fine and the shark is really fast so you wouldnt have to worry about it getting eaten. Good luck.

Anneuryzm

Registered Member
Dec 31, 2002
Kent, Washington
Visit site
I would advise against putting a Texas Cichlid in there with your Oscar.

I bought 2 oscars and one Texas Cichlid all the same day, who were in the same tank at the fish store. I brought them home at around 2" or so, and they all did fine together for over a month and a half.
As soon as they all hit around 4", just like what everyone told me was going to happen, the Texas lost it's friggin' mind and was entirely intolerable of anything else in the tank, including the pleco.
I had to get rid of him last month because he was really tearing up on my oscars. They aren't very friendly fish.

JacksontoKobe

AC Members
Feb 18, 2002
Belgrade, MT
I wouldnt suggest a rainbow shark either I had a red tail in with my Oscar and he never got to come out of his caves. He was constantly stressed and every once in a while he would have a rip out of his side.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store