Tank size conundrum

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Thehappypet

AC Members
Nov 3, 2007
So if the statement "fish only grow to the size of their tanks" is untrue, what about stunted fish? Don't they technically only grow to "fit the tank" ?

I work at a petstore and it is difficult to explain that to customers...

I would guess that it is a combination of factors including tank size and water quality that keeps a goldfish small(stunted!) when kept in a ten gallon its whole life. (Is this really what stunts fish kept in small quarters?) But this does contribute to the misconception that people have that their 3 goldfish are very "happy" in their ten gallon because they have only reached 2-3 inches long in a year.

>_>

what to do, what to do...

Last edited:

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
hmm.....I would say that "fish DO grow to the size of the tank, but as you should know, its very unhealthy for the fish and could cause to them to become listless and die quickly"

Thehappypet

AC Members
Nov 3, 2007
Some people think that a goldfish living 3-5 years is a long life for them, so its OK to keep them in a ten or twenty gallon because thats how long the picture tag beneath the tank says they should live... I have had goldfish for only 5 years now and my 2 are still with me. I tell folks that goldfish, when kept properly, should be living well beyond 5 years... How long on average do goldfish live??? o_O

Thehappypet

AC Members
Nov 3, 2007
I know the world record holding goldfish was 43 years. But the average is about 15? That's for fancys right? What about shubunkins and comets? my 2 goldfish are shubunkins btw.

Last edited:

stephalpha

Stephalpha
Apr 26, 2007
Michigan
I think some people still think it is acceptable to keep goldfish in a bowl. So they think if they put it in a tank no matter what size it will be very happy. Some people have no idea how big goldies should get, or how long they should live. Putting goldies in the wrong enviroment will definetly stunt it's growth and effect it's over all health.

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
I know the world record holding goldfish was 43 years. But the average is about 15? That's for fancys right? What about shubunkins and comets? my 2 goldfish are shubunkins btw.
Yeah and lived in a little bowl!!!.
This case confused me because I thought stunted fish died early.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store