Tank under treatment very foggy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Maracyn-2 is the treatment. The fish seem fine and I wont euthanize all the fish if they are fine... I am just wondering why my water turned so foggy?
That disease, if properly identified, has a massive history of effectively hiding for long periods of time. Healthy appearance doesn't mean much and then a slight stress condition or movemetn of fish to other tanks and fish not capable of warding it off, and the problem starts again. Not an easy choice, but a reasonable one on euthanization totally.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
As are many fish diseases, it is hard to identify properly with out taking samples to a lab and looking at it under a microscope I have done the best I can to identify the disease, and I have treated appropriately to that disease but the treatment used is not soley for that disease so hopefully if similar it will also be removed. If the disease manifests itself again at a later date I will take the appropriate measure but at this point in time I am very hopeful that the medication has eradicated the disease. Also As part of my treatment I have lowered the temperature which slows it down and I have added a higher salt concentration (was very very low, hadnt added in a while and now I added almost 2 tbsp per 5 gallon). This disease needs warm, well oxygenated, and salt free water to survive. I have done my best to eliminate those conditions currently (besides the oxygen of course for the survivors sake). There wont be movement of any of these fish for at least two years and besides replacing the lost fish there will be very little to stress them out. I hope for the best but do understand the posibility of the worst outcome which would include scrapping my tank which I have worked hard to create with its assormtent of fish, I am also not a wealthy person so starting completely over is not a really great option for me at this time... From this point forward I will continue to keep a higher salt concentration (1 tbsn per 5 gallons) to hopefully keep it at bay.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
:cool:
Wish you the best sucess, for sure!

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Thanks Rbishop, after the medication has run its course would you suggest bleach cleaning all the decoration in the tank?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Yes...but just IME, putting clean stuff back in a tank that had columnaris, will just contaminate it again. Again, hope your fish pull thru all of this.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
The only reason I would clean it would be to try to eliminate it for the tank it is in, would a UV sterilizer help kill the bacteria long term?

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I don't have an explanation for cloudiness of tank. Sorry. From what I have read a UV sterilizer can help. But maybe others will chime in on that.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Im confident once i get normal filtration back up and running itl leave but im just curious that its not harming the fish (doesnt appear to be)

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
If it does not clear up I would do consistent water changes over a few days post-treatment to make sure it's not an entirely new problem. Is there anything new you put in the tank other than the filter? Bishop is right about the disease hiding...it's like ich basically. No matter what you do it could potentially come back and wreak havoc once again. If you have the means you could transfer the fish to a different tank, vinegar or bleach out the main tank, then move the fish back into the cleaned up tank. You'd have to get it going again by re-establishing the bacteria cycle but that's not so difficult if you know someone else in the trade with some filter media, gravel, sand, etc that's already established. Even then it might be a long shot and in the end you could lose some fish. I do hope not though. Good luck!

Cheers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store