Tankmates for my cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
Texas is too aggressive for GT.

I use Giant Danios. They are too fast for them to catch. And they don't grow to big.

Tiger15

AC Members
Jan 20, 1999
New Jersey
shirley.stormloader.com
The Texas must go. It can reach over 14 inch will eventually be too large for 66 gal. The GT can stay, which will slowly reach 10 inch. GT is not too aggressive if it is raised together with Africans. For similar size fish, Africans like Johani will dominate over CA, but eventually the table will turn around. Generally, Africans shouldn't be kept together with CA because of the ultimate size difference, but smaller CAs like convicts, Nics and Thorichthys species are compatible with Africans in size and water requirements.

Gunn

AC Members
Feb 5, 2004
Kelowna, BC
members.cardomain.com
Originally posted by Tiger15
The Texas must go. It can reach over 14 inch will eventually be too large for 66 gal. The GT can stay, which will slowly reach 10 inch. GT is not too aggressive if it is raised together with Africans. For similar size fish, Africans like Johani will dominate over CA, but eventually the table will turn around. Generally, Africans shouldn't be kept together with CA because of the ultimate size difference, but smaller CAs like convicts, Nics and Thorichthys species are compatible with Africans in size and water requirements.
well, that is some decent news... so basically, the only fish I probably have to move is the Texas... which wouldn't completely bother me. I like him... tons of personality, but I like the others better :) The yellow labs I could do without... so those I could remove as well.

Thanks for the comments... atleast I'll have a few months before I seriously need to worry about it.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
I still disagree with mixing african and new world cichlids; GT's especially. GT's are south americans meaning that they come from soft, acidic water, johanni's come from hard alkaline water.

As already mentioned, the fish don't "speak" the same language, and I think your going to run into problems down the road.

In the end, though, it's your call.

Gunn

AC Members
Feb 5, 2004
Kelowna, BC
members.cardomain.com
Well, atleast I have a couple months to decide. Like I said, as soon as I notice problems, I will move the appropriate fish.

One other question I wanted to ask. What should the temperature be for these fish? I understand they are different for the new-worlds and the africans... but with the fish that I have, what should I set the water to? I have it at 26-27 right now, and they seem very happy, but I wanted to double check.

Also, how much should I be feeding right now? I hear different things from everyone. I am using cichlid sticks until I am able to meet up with my buddy who's giving me a few bags of cichlid staple. The sticks are about a cm long.

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
Here is another area you might run into problems with.... africans need a diet high in veggie matter. Algae/Spiraluna flakes are what i feed my africans. Too much protien may cause bloat and other stomach problems. I do maybe once or twice a week throw in some regular cichild flake for some more protien, but only occationally and very little.

Yellow labs i think can eat *slightly* higher protien content than most africans.... but try and get them to eat as much veggie stuff as possible. The johanii too.

;)

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
I would think that 24-25C would be fine for them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store