Tanks in sunny rooms-advice pls

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mt_marcy

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Hi,
I am thinking about moving (shared acomm, so one room only to set things up in) and I am considering one place with a huge window and not too many "dark corners", hence a sunny room. My question would be, if I choose this place how would you go about settting up/maintianing a tank in such a sunny atmosphere? Would there be a way to limit algae growth and not having the tank heat up due to the warm rays of the sun? Thanks,
mt_marcy!

Andy16

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Wisconsin
Visit site
You could buy tank shades and a cooler. You could cover up your tank with the shade when you dont want light to come in. And curtains would help a lot:)

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I had always heard that overexposure to sunlight would cause algae, Slip...but I think that I will have to believe you (although I would like a source or an anecdotal example)!

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Nutrients from overfeeding and too few water changes grow algae. Light, by itself, will not, regardless of the intensity or spectrum.

I know of many fish farmers (and SW coral and clam famers) that use natural sunlight as the light source for their aquariums. With good husbandy skills, by doing water changes and not overstocking or overfeeding, you will not have algae problems.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Okay, good point...I had forgotten the good-old algal triangle. My humble apologies!

~Matthew

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
I thought the same as you for quite a while and spent a great deal of time rearranging furniture to get the tanks out of sunlight... ;)

As Anthony Calfo says, "If many of the hobbyists that could give their tanks natural sunlight did, arguments about artificial lighting would be moot"

Live and Learn, and then you use nature. :D

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Anecdotal evidence: My planted 40 gets direct, early morning sunlight from sunrise til a few hours later--more in the summer, less in the winter. I don't have any more algae in the summer than I do any other time of year. The only effect I have noticed is that the plants on the exposed side of the tank tend to grow facing the outside of the tank, rather than the lights above.

Algae triangle: nutrients, light, CO2. If you reduce or increase either aspect, you can fluctuate the algae growth to some degree, but without all three, algae won't grow. True plants will utilize the nutrients and CO2 before algae can, in most cases. Plants have the same set of needs, but are, in most cases, better at using them. This is why increasing light won't necessarily increase algae, if nutrients and CO2 levels don't change. The exception is if you have lots of nutrients in the tank currently that are not utilized, and light really is the restricting factor.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store