Tell me how to divide crypt plants...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chirp

AC Members
Mar 6, 2008
Repopulating an old tank...have a beautiful large crypt which i want to divide.

Anyone?

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
Crypts are rooted plants:I didn't think they had rhizomes. :confused: The crypts that come from the store potted and witht he roots wrapped in some sort of cottony material can be divided, so I imagine those pulled from the substrate can, too. You make experience a "melt" in reaction, however, but the leaves should come back if the roots are healthy.

chirp

AC Members
Mar 6, 2008
well...i took a closer look and i'm not really sure i see a rhizome. i have a naturally planted tank...so the crypt is rooted into gravel over soil. If there is a rhizome it is in the gravel...i was wondering if i could do this without uprooting the entire plant.

chirp

AC Members
Mar 6, 2008
okay so yeah...there is no rhizome...

do i have to pull this thing up...i feel like the roots are probably VERY healthy...but I don't want to disturb them.

i was thinking i could take a razor or other blade and separate the plant carefully and remove only part of the root system.

would that fly?

srikamaraja

AC Members
Nov 30, 2006
I've torn the root system apart with two bare hands and ended up with multiple living plants. Crypts are badasses.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I think if you do it while it's still planted and slice with a razor, you're going to damage a lot more leaves than if you lifted it out. Once lifted, rinse the roots so you can see where you want to divide it better. There's probably a zillion little crytps that make up that big clump. Divide just a little or divide a lot, your choice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store