TEMPERATE MARINE

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kingwintergreen

AC Members
Nov 20, 2007
Shortly after I move in a few months I'll be putting together a mid-size coldwater reef display. I would like to see what resources old and new (tank pics, articles, sites, etc.) are out there to help decide on the particulars of my set-up. Sources for livestock would be especially helpful...

schigara

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Memphis, Tn
www.geocities.com
I have zero experience with a coldwater tank but my question would be, what is your temperature strategy? How big a A/C system is in your house and how old is it? Does your A/C run 24hrs a day just to make it bearable?

What size chiller and will you have a backup if it goes out? Power outage?

kingwintergreen

AC Members
Nov 20, 2007
I have a 1/3 HP chiller w/ controller to service a 120-gal foam-insulated acrylic tank. I will add a sump and a surge device (perhaps 20-gal each). My target temp is 55F but anything up to 58F would be acceptable.

kingwintergreen

AC Members
Nov 20, 2007
are you planning to do a temperate reef or just fish only? Or a local tank?
temperate rocky intertidal (few fish, lots of anemones and macroalgae, hopefully a broad selection of invertebrates)
primarily local, but I hope to find suppliers or hobbyists who have coldwater livestock from New Zealand, the Mediterranean, Japan, etc. for sale/trade.

j_chicago

Usually Drunk
May 12, 2007
Chicago, Il
Real Name
Jason
Seems like most coldwater tanks seem to be locally collected, just an observation, think a normal reef is more economical unless you can collect your own inhabitants.

kingwintergreen

AC Members
Nov 20, 2007
Seems like most coldwater tanks seem to be locally collected, just an observation, think a normal reef is more economical unless you can collect your own inhabitants.
I intend to collect the majority of inverts and plants, but I am seeking sources of fish in particular from various parts of the world. Anyone know of any suppliers that deal in coldwater marines?

kryptic4l

AC Members
May 21, 2007
Antartica
the fish market

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store