Tetra issues

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SimFish

AC Members
Dec 28, 2012
Folks, I'm putting my kids to sleep as it's 12am and waaaaaay past their bedtime but then I'll come back and post those picts I took. Thanks for any help with my nightmare. It's embarrassing and very frustrating.

One last thing that I discovered I do that I don't think I'm supposed to was that my water level is half way up the output area of the pump/filter thing so the water doesn't fall off like a mini-waterfall into the tank. Instead if lows directly in like a river. I just discovered I was doing that wrong yesterday but not sure how much that effects things.

SimFish

AC Members
Dec 28, 2012
photo-51.JPG

This is the sick Tetra that looks fine to my eye other then non-stop breathing and his mouth/gills area looking a little exhausted from several days of doing so. If you look at the picture close his mouth almost looks like it has a transparent film over it but I think it's just his normal lips etc. It's hard to tell if that is significant or his normal mouth.

photo-50.JPG'

This is my minnow that looks like death. At one point he turned very dark and almost black all over but he's got rid of the black since. But his body looks transparent. He looks WAY, WAY, underweight (though they get plenty of food), and you can see his organs on the inside way more then normal minnows.

photo-49.JPG

Their bubble maker. This blackish gross stuff is all over the tubes in the tank, suction cups, etc. I got a new one ready to go once I figure out the collective advice after seeing the pict.

Thanks

photo-51.JPG photo-50.JPG photo-49.JPG

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
One last thing that I discovered I do that I don't think I'm supposed to was that my water level is half way up the output area of the pump/filter thing so the water doesn't fall off like a mini-waterfall into the tank. Instead if lows directly in like a river. I just discovered I was doing that wrong yesterday but not sure how much that effects things.
How would that be wrong? Is there something in the literature for your filter that says to not do so?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The white cloud looks like it's old, nearing the end of it's life. I have the sparkly eye white clouds, and the older stock gets that way a month or so before they die--these aren't terribly long lived fish, maybe 3 years. That's been my experience, anyway. Danios adopt the same curved spine as well.

SimFish

AC Members
Dec 28, 2012
How would that be wrong? Is there something in the literature for your filter that says to not do so?
I asked Petsmart because I noticed on the box image or something the water was falling off about an inch into the tank. They said it should fall off like that? So I don't know... maybe it's fine? I know on my 1 gallon tank that we have used in the past for medicating it states in the instruction to keep the water level before that runoff part of the filter. Same brand but that filter is a little different.

SimFish

AC Members
Dec 28, 2012
The white cloud looks like it's old, nearing the end of it's life. I have the sparkly eye white clouds, and the older stock gets that way a month or so before they die--these aren't terribly long lived fish, maybe 3 years. That's been my experience, anyway. Danios adopt the same curved spine as well.
Unfortunately we've only had him 6 months or so. He looked small like a young one when we purchased him and seemed to grow a little over a few months. Then got really skinny. Then turned almost black. Then when I made all the changes to the tank he turned this color but continues getting skinnier and hunched. He seems like he's starving each time I feed them but I don't think he actually swallows any of the food. Maybe he's old but that didn't seem the course that happened but who knows how old he was when we purchased him I suppose...

Also, before the water fix one of my mollies were spazzing out. Doing odd flips and stuff. Even towards the tank ornaments. I wasn't sure if it was doing it to scratch or doing it from a parasite or something messing with it's brain. Every once in a while it would be chilling and looked like it's belly was starting to go up and he'd catch himself in a summer-salt (spelling?). I believe another fish in the tank was doing the same thing. But that eventually went away completely with the water adjustments. Maybe it was the PH causing it I don't know but thought I'd throw that out there...

SimFish

AC Members
Dec 28, 2012
Guessing I overwhelmed everyone with the number of issues...

Last night I noticed that the tetra has red at the base of his tiny front fins. One side of his gill area also has a shiny spot on it that looks like a dent. On the crevis of his gills where it looks like he breathes there looked like a tiny bit of white puffy stuff but it's so small and hard to see I can't tell if it's just skin that goes there. It's similair to how I described his lips looking above in a post...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
actually, you mentioned the mollies as bullies?? correct??

if this is the case you may be seeing the end result of the stress the bullies are creating.

remove the bullies and see what happens..

SimFish

AC Members
Dec 28, 2012
I've been getting a fatal error every time I try to post. Trying a copy/paste from a comment from a few hours ago. I'm also uploading a youtube video right now in HD of the fish breathing weird incase it helps to diagnose. I'll post the link in a few once it's done uploading...

I have all this replacement stuff and I need to do something with the tank today and a 10-20% water change with cleanup. The reason I wanted to replace everything is I worry that my stuff is contaminated or something and that's what's messing up the tank numbers and causing all the algae blooms. But I guess I can just replace the things that are repulsive for now like the tubing, the bubble rock, and bubble shell (displayed above). Leaving an algae covered ship, plants, etc.

I'd also love to replace my old filter pump with the new but I guess that's the biggest one mentioned concern over above. The thing is really pretty nasty and covered with algae. I also worry it's contaminated or something. Will replacing it really cause a mini-cycle or what. I mean, I assume people have pumps go out and have to replace them from time to time? Wouldn't this be kinda an equivalent except mine isn't actually broken?

Thanks for any advice

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store