Tetra tank question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jlaurin

Registered Member
May 2, 2018
Hello, I'm just starting my first tank. I was wonder if 16gal would be enough for 12 tetras( 6 neon and 6 phantom), 2 dwarf frogs and some snails? Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
I personally would start with 4 and 4 for the tetras. But everything sounds good. Then as your tank acclimates you can try adding the other 4 tetras.

Please make sure you completely cycle your tank before adding fish, then I would add one set of tetras (neons) then the next set (phantoms) a week or two later. Then add the frogs, wait a week, then add the snails. This will give your tank time to build up those beneficial bacteria.

Hope that made sense and good luck!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I would go with 8 of either tetra but not both. I haven't kept frogs but I read they do better in a species only tank. They are slow to feed & may need special attention to thrive.

I would go with 8 neons & 6 dwarf corydoras & call it done.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Frogs are not good in a tank with fishes. My daughter (when she was young) had a small frog tank with 2 frogs. They take FOREVER to find their food. I do not know how they survive in the wild. Tetras like to be in groups, the bigger the group, the better. So, it is better to get more of one species, then less of 2.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store