Tetra with shimmies?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Stormyrose786

AC Members
Mar 10, 2020
Brent, AL, US
Real Name
Cassie
Okay, most of the parameters were fine in the tank she is in now. The KH was between 50ppm & 100ppm, & since there are just guppies in there, other than cories & snails, I like it to be at least 100. But...I can't be absolutely positive about the ammonia, if it is 0 or .25, because those 2 colors on that chart are so close...so, to be safe, I treated it, & did a 25% wc.

Reactions: Sprinkle

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
If you can video the behavior, try for longer than 15 seconds and then either upload to youtube and then link the video or use the media button in the insert drop down menu (3 dots) next to the smilies icon.

Stormyrose786

AC Members
Mar 10, 2020
Brent, AL, US
Real Name
Cassie
If you can video the behavior, try for longer than 15 seconds and then either upload to youtube and then link the video or use the media button in the insert drop down menu (3 dots) next to the smilies icon.

Okay, I have never uploaded a video to YouTube before...I did 3 very short ones. Just the 1st is taking a long time to upload. I made them private...if I post the url, will you be able to view it? They're not great videos, & not sure if you will be able to see it how I'm seeing it. At some points, it actually seems to be swimming normally, but this fish never acted like this til recently.

Anyway, if they ever get uploaded, I'll try to post....

Apr 2, 2002
New York
From what I can tell from the vids, that is not the shimmies. Here is what I see, and I could be wrong.

The fish appears to have a swim bladder issue. If it stops swimming it sinks. It has difficulty staying level. Why?

And once again, we are at a multiple possibilities stage. There are problems not directly with the swim bladder itself but which affect it.

- Internal infection which causes swelling that presses against the swim bladder.
- Constipation which also cause expansion in the digestive system which presses against the swim bladder.
- Worms in a the digestive track causing swelling which presses against the swim bladder.
- Internal parasites can cause all sorts of things.

This is where the unavailable bare bottom H tank would really help. Constipation usually means a swollen gut, not pooping and then likely not eating. You can see any poop on the bottom glass as well as uneaten food. You can also potentially spot any expelled parasites or worms large enough to be seen with the naked eye. Parasites can also be more reasonably suspected if the poop is abnormal looking.

Determining the cause here would most likely be accomplished by what we can see or by eliminating what we do not see not see. If none of the things above that would let us diagnose, then the odds are it is more likely an internal infection. At that point it becomes a best guess situation. The most likely treatment then is an antibiotic.

But the no H tank makes all of this moot.

My instinct say look at constipation first, but no H tank makes that almost impossible. I had a solution which needed a small air pump, but they are out of stock most places that offers it at a fair price. I have about 6 of them. It is a hang on the outside of the tank box that circulates tank water through it. It would act to let you see poop food etc. And you need no cycle or heater as it uses tank water and filtration for that. This is not for a fish with something contagious. But it works fir to isolate and observe for constipation.

It was originally sold by Marina and it is now Fluval.
Large Breeder Box Search

Stormyrose786

AC Members
Mar 10, 2020
Brent, AL, US
Real Name
Cassie
From what I can tell from the vids, that is not the shimmies. Here is what I see, and I could be wrong.

The fish appears to have a swim bladder issue. If it stops swimming it sinks. It has difficulty staying level. Why?

And once again, we are at a multiple possibilities stage. There are problems not directly with the swim bladder itself but which affect it.

- Internal infection which causes swelling that presses against the swim bladder.
- Constipation which also cause expansion in the digestive system which presses against the swim bladder.
- Worms in a the digestive track causing swelling which presses against the swim bladder.
- Internal parasites can cause all sorts of things.

This is where the unavailable bare bottom H tank would really help. Constipation usually means a swollen gut, not pooping and then likely not eating. You can see any poop on the bottom glass as well as uneaten food. You can also potentially spot any expelled parasites or worms large enough to be seen with the naked eye. Parasites can also be more reasonably suspected if the poop is abnormal looking.

Determining the cause here would most likely be accomplished by what we can see or by eliminating what we do not see not see. If none of the things above that would let us diagnose, then the odds are it is more likely an internal infection. At that point it becomes a best guess situation. The most likely treatment then is an antibiotic.

But the no H tank makes all of this moot.

My instinct say look at constipation first, but no H tank makes that almost impossible. I had a solution which needed a small air pump, but they are out of stock most places that offers it at a fair price. I have about 6 of them. It is a hang on the outside of the tank box that circulates tank water through it. It would act to let you see poop food etc. And you need no cycle or heater as it uses tank water and filtration for that. This is not for a fish with something contagious. But it works fir to isolate and observe for constipation.

It was originally sold by Marina and it is now Fluval.
Large Breeder Box Search

Wow...okay

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store