Tetras and pH

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rajseth

Learning FW
Feb 6, 2007
central NJ
Conventional wisdom seems to indicate that tetras (cardinals/neons) are very pH sensitive. I like the way they look and school, but my pH is high - seems to end up at 7.6 pH by itself. (my tap water is hard)
will my cardinals/neons be able to acclimatize to that, or do I need to rethink the fish?
I don't want to start playing the pH down game - and have my pH swinging...

monkey_toes

"Maybe it's a hybrid"
Feb 7, 2006
Southwest Florida
They can acclimate, but they will likely have dramatically shortened life spans. It's not so much the pH, but the hardness. Tetras from blackwater rivers tend to build up calcium salts in their kidneys and experience renal failure at an early age when constantly exposed to hard water. I suggest finding a way to soften it (I use a reverse osmosis system) or going with different fish.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
honestly, your pH isnt that high. even 8.0-8.6 isnt that high. when we are getting to around 9.0 and higher, thats when the pH is a bit to high.

most neons, and some cardinals, are comercial bred and will be able to adapt to your water. adding driftwood to your tank to help lower the pH will help also.

jkost

AC Members
Jul 18, 2006
honestly, your pH isnt that high. even 8.0-8.6 isnt that high. when we are getting to around 9.0 and higher, thats when the pH is a bit to high.

most neons, and some cardinals, are comercial bred and will be able to adapt to your water. adding driftwood to your tank to help lower the pH will help also.
100% agree the tetras your buying at the store do not come from south American rivers.Ive got piranhas a pacu and some silver dollars in hard 7.6-8.0 water and all have bright colors.

rajseth

Learning FW
Feb 6, 2007
central NJ
So Far so Good

so - put in the cardinals yesterday - they seem to be ok so far - colors are good - they spit out the brine shrimp :mad: - just came out from the plants and started swimming around. So I think they will be just fine.

Does it have be driftwood to lower pH? I have some wood soaking in brine. These were just branches from an ironwood tree in my backyard that fell down and looked cool!

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
Skip the blackwater extract. It's far cheaper and far more steady and effective to use peat filtration in conjunction with some driftwood to recreate the tetras' native waters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store