Tetras

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Casey0421

AC Members
Apr 15, 2016
Hello, I am having quite the trouble picking out which type of fish would fit nicely in my 55gl community tank. So far, I have 6 julii cories and 6 rummynose tetras (getting more soon). My stock plan is to add 6 dwarf neon rainbowfish, some other sort of tetra/small schooling fish, and 1 (or two) Bolivian rams. What type of tetra/other small schooling fish would look nicely with this group. I was thinking neons but I cannot seem to find them at my LFS. Same thing goes for Cardinals. I am just looking for options, I am very open. Thanks!

Casey0421

AC Members
Apr 15, 2016
Bloodfin Tetras might look nice to. Even cherry barbs are fine, they aren't nippy. But it is hard to find Black Neon tetras since they are under rated, but they are hardy.
Are bloodlfins peaceful in that they won't bother anyone else in the tank? Such as the ram or the rainbows?

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I've seen bloodfins be nippy but never had an issue with cherry barbs. I had mine in with raspboras and a betta and didn't have any issues with nipping. The bloodfins, I never bought because they destroyed every small fish we put in with them in the store.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
I have several fish books, plus I google things I'm interested in stocking. I've read that bloodfins can be nippy, and they are very active fish that can stress out more peaceful tankmates. Ditto for silvertips, which are one of my personal favs. Which is why I did not recommend them.

Harlequin rasboras are pretty, but I've never kept them. Head and taillight tetras are neat too, but hard to find.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store