The Amp'd-Up ATS

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Yeah, it's something to consider. Mine isn't fully grown in, yet, but I can definitely see it doing a good job at what it is supposed to do. I'll see in time for sure, though. I'll try to keep this thread updated in the meantime. My main jump was that GFO was beginning to get unaffordable and I needed a good bit to get the job done at the rate I was feeding, etc. Until someone finds a good, reliable way to regenerate GFO, I won't even consider it again.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
For right now, I'm cleaning both. I don't really notice that much of a rise in inorganic nutrients. I can get away with that, though, since I have an extremely low load in this tank. If your tank happened to be fully stocked and there was an issue with nitrate and phosphate without the scrubber, then I would only clean one side per session. I will probably start doing it this way a bit later, myself.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Well, I added a bunch of live sand a couple of weeks ago, which released a lot of fines and organic detritus--all of which quickly coated every strand of algae on the screen. As a result, I had to hose off the screen, which blasted off a lot of the algae on it, making me have to almost start over again. On the bright side, I see a few spots with dark brown turf growing, which is more along the lines of what I want.

As a note to those looking to try this, I'll admit I've had difficulties with it. Before that deters you, I'll say it's in more of a positive way. I've had to feed significant amounts of food to actually induce algae growth on the screen. Once I got that, I noticed cyanobacteria really taking off. However, I also noted at the exact same time that the Cladophora-esque brush algae that had taken over was dying and was beginning to get cyanobacteria on it. I'm definitely seeing a succession of algal types (well, and cyanobacterial ones) in the tank and on the screen. It will be interesting to see what happens in the long run, but I would say that it looks promising. The cyanobacteria should subside once the algae have completely died and gone.

One last thing is that if you hate seeing your tank a mess in the meanwhile waiting for algae to grow, these aren't for you. You must be patient with them and look for certain signs--either too much or too little inorganic nutrients, etc.

As far as pics go, I should've taken some before I put the sand in. You'll have to wait for another week or two, I guess. Either that or I'll have to feed more :D.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Sweet, thanks for the update. I am looking to take the plunge and go ATS only filtration on my tank and I love hearing your experiences with it.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Dang, I forgot about this thread and meant to get pics of the screen pre-scrape. On the plus side, the cyanobacteria is starting to subside now, which is what I expected. The screen is getting more and more established and seems to be doing better as time passes. Once again, I'll try to snap a pic before I scrape it again.

xsdbs

AC Members
Oct 16, 2006
yeah we know, we lack in the field of importance don't we? haha
On another note, you mentioned the "Cyno taking off". Was this on the screen or in your tank. Is a cyno bloom part of the growing process?

Dang, I forgot about this thread and meant to get pics of the screen pre-scrape. On the plus side, the cyanobacteria is starting to subside now, which is what I expected. The screen is getting more and more established and seems to be doing better as time passes. Once again, I'll try to snap a pic before I scrape it again.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
yeah we know, we lack in the field of importance don't we? haha
On another note, you mentioned the "Cyno taking off". Was this on the screen or in your tank. Is a cyno bloom part of the growing process?
No, not on the screen, but in the tank. I never got any cyanobacteria on the screen. The cyanobacterial bloom in my tank, at least, is a function of 2 things: initially, it was the dying straggler algae I had in my tank and later due to the influx of lots of new live sand and associated organic particles.

I don't mean to forget you guys, lol. It's not just something like this--I forget everything. If I didn't write down my schedules, I'd be a mess.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store