The California Blackworm

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DeeDeeK

Seeker of Piscean Wisdom
Apr 10, 2009
San Francisco
WOW! I'm so happy to check this thread out and see all the folks who've taken it up! I'm always proud to have stimulated people to stimulated further people, etc., into a self-sustaining kind of reaction. Much more fun than writing something about aesthetics and getting a bunch of people ticked off!

I had limpets and then got kuhlis and soon had no limpets! I love kuhlis too much to give 'em up tho'. Fish that cuddle!

Oh, yeah, blackworms. inverts. Good stuff, awesome pictures! I'm excited to be returning to the swing of things and finding more and more nifty posts (well, nifty to me, I don't mean to compare with posts oriented around different interests and focusses). KUDOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DeeDeeK

Seeker of Piscean Wisdom
Apr 10, 2009
San Francisco
Oh, and to those who've thanked me for initiating this thread, I must say thank YOU.

zfarsh

Registered Member
Aug 1, 2011
Sorry for reviving this whole thread, but i just finished reading it and was wandering if the original poster is still here. I was thinking of putting these worms in some of my tanks, one of them has a sand like substrate that is eco complete i believe, whilst the other one is play sand. If fish catch them, then they catch them, and if not, then so be it. Also, i was thinking of alternatively putting them in a small 5g tank with some rcs, snails, play or pool fitler sand, and some jave and light. In either case, my only fear is that it was mentioned that they go into sponge filters. I dont know if they actually damage the sponges, and make them un-usable, or what they do exactly, but i need all my filters to work properly. So that said, what do they do exactly to the sponges, do they eat them apart, can i still use the sponge as if the worms are not there?

zfarsh

Registered Member
Aug 1, 2011
was wandering if original poster is still around, or would appreciate anyone's help. I know i am resurecting a very old thread, but i just got into this.

i was thiking of puting some black worms in either my shrimp / dwarf corry tank (black sand like substrate, maybe eco-complete), or in my 75 g tank with fancy goldfish and playsand substrate, or a small 6 g tank with play sand or pool fitler, and some shrimps and snails and moss.

my worry was seing people saying they go into sponges. I would be having sponge filters or pre-filters in ALL my tank, and i dont know what blood worms do exactly to the sponge. Do they make them un-usable by tearing it apart? Some more insight would be nice, as i dont want to destrop all my filters.

thanks in advance

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Not bloodworms but blackworms!

The blackworms will live in the sponges if they can reach them but I haven't noticed any problem with them destroying the sponges, unless you are using natural sponge rather than a manmade sponge.

The problem with blackworms in your sponge filters or pre-filters is that it is difficult to clean the sponges without losing any blackworms. I usually gently squeeze the sponge filters in a white pail so that I can collect any of them and return them to the tank.

Kristi l Carreon

Registered Member
Sep 23, 2017
Has anyone found these living with betta. Mine is very slow lol So I was hoping I could culture them in his tank. It does have an internal aqueon filter size extra small. That's an issue is it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store