The insides of my fish are coming out. Help.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sapphiresea

AC Members
Aug 11, 2009
Thanks for the advice everyone. The prolapse looks slightly bigger than yesterday. I will try treating it with a combination of salt, fasting, and eventually, peas. Wish me luck! I'll keep everyone updated on her condition. I'm interested on hearing from anyone else who has had this happen. Thanks again!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
...Why the peas I wonder? And why English peas? Do you think you could use soaked split peas since they are just dried shelled peas- becasue peeling peas seems like a lot of work. I've never tried it, I am just guessing. can you just squeeze out the insides?
Dried split peas may be too firm, unless you soak them a couple of hours.
I've wondered about english or sweet peas in the can, but I think canned peas are so over done that they will just disintegrate once squeezed out of the skins.

When you nuke frozen english peas (usually 30-40 seconds) they will squirt right out of the skin, in fact they slip out easily. You want the pea to be slightly mushy as it squishes out, not firm hard pea halves that pop out.

I've seen fish more picky about the pea if it's too firm, but more likely to go after it if it is softer and easier to tear apart.

Pinkertd
"And while peas were recommended to clean the fish out, epsom salts will do the trick gently and very fast, even if the fish does not feel like eating."

Pinks advice is spot on. You may not be able to get the fish to eat the pea and certainly this is gentle and works. Good point Pink.

Last edited:

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Granny used regular salt, which I would not do. I'd do as Pink advised and use epsom salts, along with fasting, and the point (in the other thread) about keeping her away from other fish that may pick at the protruding tissue is very important.

Keep us posted, we're all pulling for your little fish.

sapphiresea

AC Members
Aug 11, 2009
Here's an update for anyone who may still be following this thread. The good news: the fish is still alive! The bad news: the fish still has a prolapse. I followed the treatment outlined above and used a combination of epsom salts and peas. There was minimal change in the prolapse. For a while, it turned very pale and almost white - like your skin after you soak in the tub for too long. Afterward, it turned back to the original pink and lately has gotten a little bit red, which concerns me. I'm keeping the water pristine, which should hopefully help ward off infection.

Does anyone have suggestions on what to do now? The fish doesn't seem lethargic at all. I think it can survive with this, but I'm not sure. I am reluctant to place it back in the main tank because, as Melody pointed out, other fish will probably pick at it. For now, it seems to be doing well in a ten gallon quarantine tank. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Troycool

Site's youngest EXPERT
Feb 5, 2010
Chula Vista, CA
It does look like a prolapse. You could try fasting it for a few days and then feeding veggies to help clear any constipation that can make it worse. Feed tiny bits of cucumbers, romaine lettuce, cooked green beans, cooked shredded carrots, etc. It is not a natural thing, developed through selective breeding. The organs can't get enough space in such a compressed body. Overeating can cause obesity too, further compromising their health. If you can separate it to another tank it would be easier to manage its diet and keep it safe. Hopefully the prolapse will reverse but there is danger of another fish damaging its tender vulnerable tissues if it stays in the main tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store