The Most Hardy Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Allison Reed

Sushi Lovin' Aquarist
Dec 3, 2002
Vancouver, wa
Visit site
Depending on what filte ryou have, a betta male might not be a good idea. I had a emperor mini and the thing sucked him up. Bettas are bad with even the slightest swift waters, but aren't that picky about water conditions

Green Swordtail

AC Members
Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by Allison Reed
Depending on what filte ryou have, a betta male might not be a good idea. I had a emperor mini and the thing sucked him up. Bettas are bad with even the slightest swift waters, but aren't that picky about water conditions
It is a Whisper Power Filter, so I'm guessing that will be a problem for a betta?

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I don't think so. If you can turn down the flow rate a little, then do so, but my betta isn't having problems with the filter in my tank (which is moving pretty fast), in fact, he actually swims against the current for fun.

I think weakened bettas or ones with (extremely) enlarged fins are most susceptible to being caught in the filter return.

Green Swordtail

AC Members
Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
I have turned the flow down and have noticed a difference in the way the water flows...

Now that cycling is complete, here is what I am planning:

3 Bronze Cories
1 Male Betta
4 White Clouds

Does this sound good for a first tank? :)

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I would take away the entire White Cloud group.

Bronze Cories are huge, by Cory standards, so three of them and a Betta might be carrying capacity for your tank.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
That would be a pretty cool tank...some Dojo Loaches, and some White Clouds and a few other cooler water tropicals, and you'd have one heck of a conversation piece!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store