The Oto Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Update 28-Jan-2012

Hatching as expected occured yesterday. Wiggle waggles all over the place. Here's a couple shots:

Something about this one I really like.

sailedNJ

marine biologist & architect
Jan 9, 2011
New Jersey, USA
Real Name
Art Vandelay
Nice to see your breeding project is still going strong :thm:. Keep up the good work & I wish you continued success & luck.

I think my Otos are exhausted from breeding. Haven't had any new broods in awhile (couple of months) but that's OK, still got plenty of offspring to keep me busy.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Thanks and most excellent with your guys.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Another one to not get my hopes up, but I went down to go on the great snail hunt and I walked in on spawn activity from the Macrosphilus. We've been down this road before but I took a break from the hunt to give them their space. Let's see if the boys can get their act together. We'll see where it leads. {crosses fingers}

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Update 02-Feb-2012

All looking good with the Vittatus. Looks to be about another (20) or fry guys so far. This group is grazing like little piggies. :) The other Juvies continue to do well. There isn't alot of cover in the tank since the big trim so it's dog-eat-dog when it comes to finding a leaf to sit on. They are encroaching on the adults area. Will be moving them soon to a holding tank to finish growing out.

I think I'm going to change tanks around. Since I can't seem to find Flexilis or Mimulus ....... yet, I think I'll move the juvies over there where there is a ton to munch on.

As for the Macro's, no dice...again.

Chris W

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Lake Ontario, NY
www.nyfalls.com
Had some catching up to do (about 10 pages) and thoroughly enjoyed reading about the developments over the last few months! Thanks for everything you continue to put into this James.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
You're most welcome.

And might I say...Most Awesome Avatar Pic!

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Update: 07-Feb-2012

Vittatus tank is way overcrowded at the moment. Counted (33) young fry guys yesterday. Survivor rates are going up. That's a great sign. All of them except for (6) where on two slices of zucchini. I need to get the older juvies out. Hopefully be able to work on that today some. All in all, there are somewhere around (60) Otos in this tank! The older ones are just about ready to find new homes. Will be doing a water change in the tank today.

Going to try and do some scaping in the Macrosphilus tank. See if I can change things around just a bit to see if it will help. I'm doing everything I can not to seperate the boys but I just don't feel that's going to be possible.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Started moving some of the older juvies out last night into the new holding tank. I think they are in hog heaven with all the diatoms in the new tank. I just moved over one small batch to see how they were going to do. As of this morning, all were just fine when the lights came on. Will move over another group this evening and that should take care of the older ones.

The younger fry continue to do very well. One piece of zuc was gone yesterday and the other piece was in a black out conidition. There were that many covering it. I really should keep a camera down there for times like this. :) Will put in fresh pieces today.

I delayed the water change since I was catching the fry. Will do that once all the bigger juvies have been relocated.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
This round of Oto rodeo is complete. All the juvies are now out of the breeding tank and in the holding tank. Some were pretty easy to get. Others were just plain stubborn. It'll be about another two weeks and they will be able to find good homes.

Prepping fresh zucchini for both tanks. Will have to recharge the CO2 as well but that will be a weekend project.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store