The Short Body thread!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
daww, he's a cutie!! usually not a fan of short-bodied or balloon fish, but look at the little thing!! :D

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Well, I for one have nothing against SB fish. I was yelled at and pretty much harassed out of buying some balloon mollies for a tacky tank that has since been discontinued (I just felt that upset, not worth it anymore), but I've always loved the SB fish. They look so cute :)

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Oh, I've always wondered... I've met people with Fancy Goldfish who were against balloon fish, aren't fancy goldfish an extreme form of balloon fish?

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Oh, I've always wondered... I've met people with Fancy Goldfish who were against balloon fish, aren't fancy goldfish an extreme form of balloon fish?
They are extremely deformed creatures as well. Many health issues caused by deformities.

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
There's definitely a double standard with goldfish, I guess because they've been around for centuries. I'm not into the short bodied thing either, I don't have an ethical issue with it except when people try to breed it into a strain. Attempting to breed these fish to pass on this deformity trait is borderline cruelty IMO.

I had a platy once that had a spinal deformity and all he could do was make left hand turns, unfortunately he only lived for a few months.

But who cares, really? People have been breeding fish into all kinds of freakish things for a long time. http://theangelfishsociety.org/articles/norton/dr_norton(18).htm

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
@ the OP, you keeping 2 male paradisefish together? I've tried it a time or two and it seems to work out o.k. sometimes but usually not, especially if there is a female involved. It's likely the deformed one will probably take a beating at some point unless he is good at being submissive.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
@ the OP, you keeping 2 male paradisefish together? I've tried it a time or two and it seems to work out o.k. sometimes but usually not, especially if there is a female involved. It's likely the deformed one will probably take a beating at some point unless he is good at being submissive.
ah they are in QT at the moment in a 10 gallon, i have sens had to put in another large hand full of pennywort and some more rocks due to some aggression.

But its not from the normal male..its from him he is a mean little SOB.. and swims perfectly fine.

good thing for him he will not be breeding, and honestly even if i had a mind to i doubt he could breed due to his small body..don't think he could wrap his stubby little self around a fat female who are thicker than the males, now if it was a female im sure it could breed fine but not a male.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store