The Sorority Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JK_Fish

AC Members
Oct 2, 2010
Ga
Well, the sorority idea is going on the back burner until summer when I'll hopefully get my first summer job :D and get more fish funds... The reason I'm going to be slightly low on fish funds would be this guy who I've just now bought
omg.jpg

He's my first aquabid buy, and I plan on spoiling him rotten XD I'm sterilizing the 10 gallon sorority tank, and he'll go in there.

omg.jpg

NB_Aquatics

AC Members
Jan 17, 2011
SW Ohio
Real Name
Nick
Wow he is stunning, love the green sheen to him.

asianleful

AC Members
Nov 30, 2010
I have a 30 gallon eclipse tank with the lihting and filtration system inside the hood. Do you guys have any suggestions on powerheads? And is there an alternative to those expensive filter medias for eclipse hoods?

JK_Fish

AC Members
Oct 2, 2010
Ga
well, if you cycle your tank, you can just stuff your filter with filter sponge/media, and you won't have to toss them out for several years, just swish them in old tank water once a month.

JK_Fish

AC Members
Oct 2, 2010
Ga
No, not really seeing as I don't really use any. the filter should be more than enough, especially if a betta will wind up in there.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Sorry to hear that your beautiful females had to pass.

If/when you start a sorority up again I highly suggest going with a larger tank...more towards a 20 long. Putting a group of females within a relatively small space is walking a tight rope to being with IMHO. Your chances of success will increase exponentially if they are given a larger area with more retreats. Even in a 30g I had the initial incidents between the alpha and the lesser females. It tapered down but there was also that much more space to avoid one another. If you can minimize any physical damage at the start then you minimize any secondary infections. Plus, any stress only increases the chance of illness. I wouldn't be so quick to assume that anything was preexisting but that's just me.

I hope you do try a sorority again. It's a fun tank to have IME.

JK_Fish

AC Members
Oct 2, 2010
Ga
thank you Jpappy. I agree a larger tank would be better, but 10 gallons do work and are possible. I completely expect there to be confrontations with smaller tanks, so there are more risks, but if I'm careful and make sure to monitor the agression and remove ill females more quickly, it'll work if I put some more effort into it. If I can find or buy a 20 gallon or larger as I start assembling my sorority again, I'll buy and use that of course.

The condition was pre-existing. I was aware they had come from a sorority that had an illness in it once, but I and the original owner both thought it'd have been fixed when she treated them and qt'd them for a bit over a month. I did contact the previous owner, and she did say those were the exact symptoms.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store