there all dead

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Evelyn I am sorry you lost the fish. I just looked back over your recent threads to see what you treated them with, why they didn't get better, etc. You posted on 1/28 that you got a new loach from a different LFS. Picture #2 clearly shows ick at that point, and in early Feb you also talked about them having ick and asking for help to treat them. But it looks like you never treated them for all this time?

evelyn80

Guru at procrastinating
Aug 10, 2008
in your house!!
it was just the one and i figured if i turned the temp up mabye it would go away on its own but i guess i made a terrible mistake :( i did for the time do lots of water changes and use melted salt though

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
it was just the one and i figured if i turned the temp up mabye it would go away on its own but i guess i made a terrible mistake :( i did for the time do lots of water changes and use melted salt though
That's really sad, but don't beat yourself up too badly. We all make mistakes in the beginning.
Keep in mind, for the future, high temps do not kill ich, high temps only speed up its life cycle. (Well, extremely high temps kill it, but will kill your fish, too.) The reason people increase the temp is to speed up the life cycle of the parasite and make the treatment process quicker. But if there isn't adequate medication or salt levels in the water once the temp is raised, then all you get is an explosion of the ich population in the tank, which can quickly kill the fish.
Keep in mind, too, ich does not go away on its own. It will only get worse until treated. Your tank is still infected with ich. Even if you can't see any white spots on the fish that are left, they'll come down with it eventually. Plus, you can easily transfer the parasite to other tanks on your hands, your water vac, etc.
You ought to start a more aggressive treatment in the tank you know is infected, and keep an eye on the others. I hear that salt works well. For me, when one of my tanks had ich, I followed the instructions here: http://www.aquamaniacs.net/forum/cms_view_article.php?aid=27
There's also a great explanation of the ich life cycle at that link.
Don't give up! Ich IS treatable!

Mokomon

You can call me Sharon :)
Oct 16, 2008
N.H.
((((((((((((((((Evelyn))))))))))))))

I'm so sorry hon :(

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Sorry for the losses.

3 days is way too quick for Ich to kill IME. Choose a treatment, heat + salt or Malachite instead of both.

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
I've never used Maracide, but I've heard good things. Just make sure to follow the directions exactly, and you should be ok. Keep us posted!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
I'm so very sorry for your losses. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store