These houseplant roots grow in water?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ITHURTZ

BIG BOSS
Apr 19, 2007
Lake County IL (north of cook)
Excuse the ghetto ness of my tank. Iv been lazy on hanging the light from the ceiling. And also no light covering as I keep changing the dang lighting method. And the unfinished ugly tank as that cost money, plus I need to special order the rest of the tile.

Anyway put the ivy in, lets see how it goes. Last night I also saw a ladybug crawling around the arrowheads, so if any leaf mites, I hope it is still around to take care of it!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
Don't know much about the other plants, but +1 on the English Ivy being invasive. We go up to my grandmothers house weekly-biweekly, and every time I go up, I have to trim her Ivy patch. It's in front of her porch. It grows like mad. It seriously grows 2 inches taller (which is a lot considering the leaves lay parallel to the ground) and probably about 3 inches out every 2 weeks or so. And when she was in the hospital and not at her house for a month, it grew up onto the porch and into her siding.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
I do 70% water changes every week. on m y 330gal, usually nitrates are 20-25ppm. Today is due for a water change, I am registering 10ppm..... weird.
the plants keep growing like that, you'll be ADDING nitrates soon enough. :hypnotized:

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Biggest healthiest darkest green impatien I ever saw was the one growing in my paludarium. Was sitting in a container of just sand with water continually flowing over the roots to a depth of 2 inches.

You don't often think of impatiens as aquarium plants- but as long as not planted more than a couple of inches deep they do better than on land.

ITHURTZ

BIG BOSS
Apr 19, 2007
Lake County IL (north of cook)
Replanted. Went to menards bought a black vinyl non mildew resistant shower curtain for $5 and made me a 55"x11"x5" container.

This is from 6 months of first being introduced, not a plant died on me yet, some grow better than others.

Pulled the plants out of the lava rock, little careful tugging and they came right out

Pothos root system

Spider plant, silver tree, and some kind of mint (planted 2 weeks ago) roots

More spider plant

And the shocker arrowhead root system, they are over 24" long:eek:

Here it is as of right now, gotta figure out the top again

Yes that is your common hosta on the right. From research as long as you dont cover the crown (like a java fern) it wont die. Its been in only a few days so time will tell. I also have 3 maple tree seeds to see how they do, maple trees like moist soil and are also found in boglands/wetlands.

So far I would rate the Arrow heads as the #1 plant, its growth has been AMAZING and day in day out producing more leafs.

Pothos would come in a distant 2nd, for 4.5months mine did nothing but shoot 1 leaf, the past 6 weeks it has been shooting atleast 2 leafs a week. I guess it got established then.

Spider plants, well... They grow, slowly, but grow.

The silver tree, grows faster than the spider plants, but nothing nitrate worthy imo unless you have a ginourmous container of them.

The Ivy has continued to grow and grow but is really a pita if you dont have something for it to crawl up on.

The hosta, and mint plant I cant say as they havent been in the tank long enough.

But all in all as of right now, Arrowhead and pothos are the way to go , more so the arrow head. If I did it again I would skip the silver tree, spider plants and ivy if you are looking for a super sucker or something that doesnt need to climb up something to get out of the way (can get messy). Im sure in 6 months Ill need to replant again. The lava rock held the plants in good, but also allowed me to take them out without ripping the roots apart.

Oops forgot 1 image. Water goes in 1 side (256gph) and waterfalls out the other side into the tank. Excuse the bio balls I had no where to put them haha

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store