They're HERE!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cowgrl4life

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
Fort Scott, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Carissa
That's quite a brood for a single female. how big is she? Did she release them or did you strip them? My eureka red females never release that many at one time, and quite often it's a couple of Synodontis multi fry instead.
She's actually not that big yet I was super surprised! I'd say she's around 3" right now. This was her first brood. My plan was to move her to the breeder net since my fry tanks aren't cycled yet and I knew she was getting super close to spitting. I could see through her jaw the egg sacs were pretty much gone. As soon as she hit air she started spitting, so I didn't really end up having to strip except about four she wouldn't spit. I figured if she spit the others though that I should probably get the last ones out. So I guess it was kinda a mix of releasing and stripping LOL

kenjivaj

AC Members
Mar 1, 2012
Fresno, CA
Real Name
xue
Don't put or use a breeder net. Your bigger cichlid will pick on them like snacks. The net is not really safe for cichlids. Breeder net is made for smaller fish like guppies and platies.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Cowgrl4life

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
Fort Scott, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Carissa
Don't put or use a breeder net. Your bigger cichlid will pick on them like snacks. The net is not really safe for cichlids. Breeder net is made for smaller fish like guppies and platies.
I didn't really have a choice this time around. I have fry tanks but they aren't cycled yet. This was just a temporary solution since she was going to spit any time.

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Just make sure to keep the netting tied up as tight as you can and that really helps. I've seen angels easily chew up babies in nets when there is the slightest bit of slack in it but haven't had that issue as long as it remains tight.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

kenjivaj

AC Members
Mar 1, 2012
Fresno, CA
Real Name
xue
Your doing an great job. Keep it up. What have you been feeding them frys. I feed my frys microworms and daphnias.

Cowgrl4life

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
Fort Scott, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Carissa
Your doing an great job. Keep it up. What have you been feeding them frys. I feed my frys microworms and daphnias.
I've been feeding frozen baby brine, and powdered NLS cichlid pellets.

I was having a bit of a problem with the fry getting stuck between the net and the plastic frame, so today I got creative. After discussing the issue with Taari last night I think the fry were trying to hide. So, I took a hot glue gun and glued down every single place they could possibly get stuck, while pulling the net tight. Then I weighted down a few plastic plants with a couple tiny rocks and voila, they're happy chilling in the plants now and aren't getting stuck anymore. Plus today, they seem a little more active which makes me happy. For a first time fry raiser I was a nervous wreck yesterday on their first day out of momma's mouth. You cant see it very well in the pictures, but I can see little dots where they're going to be spotted :22_yikes:SANY0579.JPGSANY0580.JPGSANY0581.JPG

SANY0579.JPG SANY0580.JPG SANY0581.JPG

Cowgrl4life

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
Fort Scott, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Carissa
Oh, and the adults haven't even seemed interested yet. They pretty well avoid the net so far, they may get interested later but for right now its not been a problem

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
Sweet!

Cowgrl4life

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
Fort Scott, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Carissa
the pictures aren't great, the light went out in the hood while I was out of town this weekend. . . but they're getting bigger! SANY0608.JPGSANY0613.JPG

SANY0608.JPG SANY0613.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store