Thinking of getting into SW

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

clownfish

AC Members
Dec 22, 2002
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I think I've pretty much decided to take the plunge and get into a marine tank. I'd like to start on the right foot and do everything correctly so that I have a tank of happy critters (and a happy owner!)

I currently have a 33 gallon tank that I could like to convert. I have no experience with marine fishkeeping in terms of what filters I need etc.

I do know what fish I would like, and I know which of those would not work. I would like to keep a few common clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris) as I know they are suitable for my tank size (and because they are gorgeous!) What type of anenomes would be a suitable tank-mate or any other fish if possible?

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
I, too, am starting a marine tank

I have stuff ordered, etc, bu t have not set it up yet, I'm doing a nano 10g, so my situation may be different from yours

basically I"m gonna tell you what anyone else would

read
do research
read more
research more

basically...you need to decide on what type you want
FOWLR (fish only, with live rock)
FO (fish only)
or reef

what y ou decide there ewill determine what extent you need to go to for lighting, water movement

you also need to decide if you want to filter through a sump or biologically (live rock (LR) and live sand (LS))

you really need to plan ahead and decide on what you want to keep (you've decided on clownfish--excellent choice, I am keeping one in my 10g, I also think they're gorgeous), but you need to decide if you also want to keep corals, which makes it a different ball game (in terms of water movement/circulation and especially lighting)

as far as anemones, clownfish really only ned them in the wild for protection, and anemones are VERY difficult to keep, so you may be better off completely forgetting about the anemone until you have a few years under your belt

hope that helps a little bit

PS--check out "Clownfishes" by Joyce Wilkerson, you will NOT regret reading this book (22 bucks at Barnes/Noble)

Leighton

clownfish

AC Members
Dec 22, 2002
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I really must get reading then! lol

I thought that clownfishes needed anenomes to be happy and healthy though I suspected I had it the other way around!

Thanks for the references and advice.

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
in nature they share a symbiotic relationship with the anemones....the anemones stinging tentacles protect the clownfish from predators, while the clownfish provide the anemone with nourishment

fishfreek

AC Members
Apr 8, 2002
Virginia
www.aquariumadvice.com
I second the comments on readings.

Your already going a good job by comming here an asking questions.

As was said I would stay away from anenomeies. They can live for hundreds of years in the wild but very often if a hobbiest can keep one alive for more than a year its consitered a sucess.

I prefer for filtration to go with a DSB (Deep Sand Bed) and LR (Live Rock). With a 4" DSB and 30-45lbs of LR in your 30 gal tank the only other component for filtration you might need would be a skimmer.

Get yourself 100-150W of light and you should be able to keep most corals that are in the aquarium trade today.

I sugest people shoot for 10X flow rate at least so you should try to get a PH or if you use a sump a pump that will do atleast 300GPH at the approprate head height.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
It still hasent been proven that clowns actually "feed" their anemones. It has been proven however that they protect it. They will fight off fish that would eat anemones (some species of butterflies and other larger fish).

If you dont think clowns would fight off something larger than themselves, then youve got to go try to swim into a damsels territory :eek:

damsels claim a territory of seagrasses and fight off all algae eating fish like tangs and stuff. cool stuff.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
If I remember correctly, a study was done a little while back (a couple of months ago) pertaining to clownfish "feeding" their anemeones. They found that the Clown was only trying to store the food, to eat later not realizing the anemone would eat it. They said that the Clown would look for it an hour or so later and it would no longer be there! So Clowns just put it in the anemone to stop other fish from eating their food. I have an Undulated Trigger that will take a piece of shrimp and slam it into a hole in the live rock to store for snacking later! It is amazing how smart these fish are! They are smarter than most people give them credit for. You don't think they know a net is a UFO (Unidentified Floating Object)? Well they do! Smart little guys!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store