Thinking of starting my own aquarium maintenence gig...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

boojumsnark25

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
Hi, I'm 17 years old and have been working with freshwater aquariums for about 10 years. I'm a senior in high school, and I'd like to get a little money stashed away for college (planning on majoring in biology and being a limnologist). Anyways, the thought entered my mind of running a little aquarium maintenance business for doctors offices and restaurants and such. I have two questions. First, do you think a 17 year old is too young to be taken seriously? Second, has anyone else tried this? What has your experience been?

Thanks,
Greg

wackydan

Fun, not crazy.
Nov 21, 2005
Matthews, NC
I do know that most large office tanks are potentially leased/maintained.

In other words, the office is leasing the tank, or has bought the tank from the same service that is maintaining it.

So, it may be difficult to actually get any business doing such unless you also offered to purchase and setup up the tanks as well, passing the direct cost of purchase onto the customer.

Jessu

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
According to the guy who comes out and takes care of my 55 for me there is alot of money in it. Especially when you get into the bigger tanks. I pay him 40 bucks a month. He is curently only coming once a month. He brings all his own stuff too. Bucket, vac, prime and all. To get ideas for prices I would call around act like you want your tanks taken care of and get estimates. This is for my home though not an office. I dont know how much throught or research you have put into this. If you work you will need to pay taxes and have to understand the paperwork and tax fourms.

Last edited:

Ghostshrimp55

AC Members
Sep 30, 2005
Put an ad in craigslist detailing your experience and exactly what you're going to give people for their money. There are plenty of smaller office settings that have tanks that have been set up by the workers in that office. They may be looking for someone to do all the work to free up their time. Some homeowners would also bite on this kind of thing for the same reason. Be sure to mention how far from your home you're willing to travel (ie, what towns you're willing to service and what not).........on the flip side, expect to have to travel a decent distance since these customers are probably going to be rather scarce.

Give it a try. Couldn't hurt. Just, be careful in the ad. I wouldn't mention your age at all............don't think you want any weirdos calling you looking for a 17 year old boy to come to their house. On that note, don't give your phone number in the ad if you go with craigslist. Just have them respond via e-mail. You should probably only give your number to people after you've shown up for a service call.

fishieperson321

AC Members
Mar 17, 2006
Tennessee
I have thought about doing this. I am only 16, but it pays good and I know of a couple of my neighbors who have aquariums. One of them actually asked me what I charged to clean a tank. I just told them that it depends on the size and whether it is brackish, fresh, or salt. They want me to come weekly. I have thought about handing out flyers through the neighborhood and at school. If I do it, I will supply the food, filter media, and other supplies needed in between visits.

I plan on:
Vacuuming gravel
25-50% water change
filter media change
scruubing algae
scrubbing hard water deposits
checking heaters
make sure air pump and stones at peak performance
clean filter when flow slows

I would probably go bi-weekly to chek the inhabitants and water parameters. I would also leave a number where they could reach me 24hrs a day 7 days of the week.

I know some of the teachers at school could use me as their tanks haven't been cleaned in years (no joke).

Daniel

tai95

AC Members
Apr 24, 2005
Not trying to throw a wrench into your plan, but have you figured what it would cost you to do this? If you are serious about starting your own buisiness you'll need to have some insurance. Every state has an insurance minimum you'll need have. What would happen if you were cleaning a tank and knocked over some rock and broke a tank? How would you prepare the water in advance and transport it? How much would you be spending on supplies? If a fish died after a cleaning (even if it's not your fault) would you replace it? Then you have to factor in federal and state taxes and make sure you put that money aside to pay at the end of the year.

If you are serious about trying something like this try and find a company that maintains tanks and get a job with them first. This way you wouldn't personally be responsible if anything happened.

webcricket

(So chill.) No wonder it's freezing
Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
If you are serious about trying something like this try and find a company that maintains tanks and get a job with them first. This way you wouldn't personally be responsible if anything happened.
My thoughts as well. Setting up a business is not easy, typically there are some big expenses initially. If you're not seeing this through a period of several years (I gather you are not since you are going to college), it may not be worth it. The advertising alone to gather a business base is a huge investment. You should consider instead applying to a local pet store or already established company for some experience.

fishieperson321

AC Members
Mar 17, 2006
Tennessee
Not trying to throw a wrench into your plan, but have you figured what it would cost you to do this? If you are serious about starting your own buisiness you'll need to have some insurance. Every state has an insurance minimum you'll need have. What would happen if you were cleaning a tank and knocked over some rock and broke a tank? How would you prepare the water in advance and transport it? How much would you be spending on supplies? If a fish died after a cleaning (even if it's not your fault) would you replace it? Then you have to factor in federal and state taxes and make sure you put that money aside to pay at the end of the year.

You know how some teens mow yards over the summer for extra cash, this is kinda like that. I am sure that homeowners insurace would cover any damage. Yes, I would replace the fish if they died, even if it isn't my fault.

Daniel

tai95

AC Members
Apr 24, 2005
You know how some teens mow yards over the summer for extra cash, this is kinda like that. I am sure that homeowners insurace would cover any damage. Yes, I would replace the fish if they died, even if it isn't my fault.

Daniel
Why should the home owner be responsible for your mistake? If it was a big enough tank cost of replacement and repairs to the house could easily be in the thousands of dollars. Not to mention deductibles and the possibility of their premiums being raised. Does this sound fair?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store