those little signs on the chain store tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
Shared filtration systems are used in conjunction with UV sterilisers. The return water is sterile.

says who? this is widely variable and depends on who's running the setup, and where.

this is ideal, yes, but i would seriously doubt it is run on every shared filtration setup in every store.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
says who? this is widely variable and depends on who's running the setup, and where.

this is ideal, yes, but i would seriously doubt it is run on every shared filtration setup in every store.
It is on every centrally filtered setup I know of. Certainly it should be. The point is that "central filtration = bad" is naive.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
well, at my LFS, I appreciate that they put up the "under observation" on their tanks because it lets me know there is a problem and they are dealing with it and wouldn't want to give my tanks any kind of health issue. The thing is, these fish they get come from all over and sometimes come in sick so what can they do but warn you.... at least they are observing them and medicating them to get the problem under control before selling. Yes, the sale might've been in the paper but just because it's in the paper doesn't mean the store will receive them in a healthy state for sale.

as far as the filtration.... would you rather run 100+ HOB's or 1 centralized system...

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I run a central filtration at home with no UV setup. With proper QT procedure, it shouldn't be needed for individual usage. For a setup thats constantly getting new stock however, it would be highly recommended.

The LFS I worked at used air to run sponge filters in all the tanks, so they were not on a common water supply.

Hammy & Waf

fishaholics
Nov 8, 2007
columbus, oh
some of the fish stores we have do central system and some use individual filters. i haven't seen any quarantine signs in the smaller stores with the individual filters, but their fish look horrible. i have seen the signs up at the bigger chains, but they mostly run central systems. their fish used to look better, but lately there have been more and more signs up, and the fish just don't look as healthy as they used to be. so i have to trek across town, to the good fish store, i dont know what kind of filters they run, but i will ask the next time we go up there.

crazycanuck

The quitter never wins
Mar 10, 2008
ontario,canada
the big als near my house has probably 1000 gallons of saltwater tanks,which is divided into maybe 15 tanks,they all run with a huuge single filtration system in a room at the back,this thing is massive,and there fish seem to be in amazing shape,the other 15000 gallons of tanks are feshwater and are all on their own filtration system

lucy42083

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY
I must agree that the fish at the chain stores that are on the central filtration system look about 500% better and more healthy than the fish at my local 'mom and pop' store that are individually filtered. Also at the mom and pop store there is NEVER EVER any fish in QT, however each and every tank has at least 1 if not more dead fish in it, usually being eaten or already half-devoured even in peaceful community tanks. The tanks are absolutely disgusting with black, mold-looking algae balls all over the substrate and most fish with shredded fins and bad color. However they are the 'specialty' aquarium shop and it is always bustling, they even have some huge tanks with a 3 foot red tailed cat and a huge arrowana, but I would not buy any livestock from there. The chain stores' centrally filtered tanks look absolutely pristine and the fish look wonderful compared to my LFS, even though sometimes they do have some fish in QT. I still buy all my fish online but I just have to laugh when I read about how central filtration/chain stores are bad compared to locally owned specialty shops with individual filtration, when in my experience, exactly the opposite is true.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store