Thoughts on Stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

railer20

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Kansas
Just wanted to get others thoughts on this stock list. I have some Angels but they are getting super aggressive so going to rehome them and change it up a bit. 54 gallon corner tank with Cascade 1000 canister and 2 small sponge filters. Water 78 def F and sand substrate.
IMG_0541.jpeg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Your tank is a bit small lengthwise for adult Bosemanii rainbowfish. I think I'd go with a longer tank for them. Are they adult size now? I've never had a corner tank so that may make a small difference. But long fish need a long tank...or they may jump!

railer20

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Kansas
Your tank is a bit small lengthwise for adult Bosemanii rainbowfish. I think I'd go with a longer tank for them. Are they adult size now? I've never had a corner tank so that may make a small difference. But long fish need a long tank...or they may jump!
don’t have them now…just trying to find stocking ideas once the Angels are out.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh, I see. I'll think about it some more. Angels, as you know, have their own issues. Do you have those other fish & inverts now? It's been a long time since you've posted about this tank I think...

Reactions: railer20

railer20

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Kansas
I have the 2 angels and 3 gourami’s (giving to my friend for his tank), harlequins, corys, a BN pleco and nerites right now.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I'd skip the boese. They will eat the Amano and your harlies. They get 6 inches each over the years, so definitely too large for this length of tank.

BUT if you like rainbows, why not consider a small species that *would* work with your list there, such as Melanotaenia sahulensis or Melanotaenia praecox? Personally, Sahulensis are healthier fish and are small but lovely. If you can get them, they're a great option. (Sometimes sold as maccullochi as well, but true maccullochi are also a great option!)

These would at the very least NOT eat your harlies. Can't promise on shrimp, even Amano, but you can attempt and see since they're a smaller rainbow species.

They'd work with the rest of your stock and not overstock the tank either.

Alternatively can't go wrong with pseudomugil gertrudae, they'd be great with both the shrimp and harlies, though they're small, like harlies. But they're good "rainbow" options too

railer20

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Kansas
I'd skip the boese. They will eat the Amano and your harlies. They get 6 inches each over the years, so definitely too large for this length of tank.

BUT if you like rainbows, why not consider a small species that *would* work with your list there, such as Melanotaenia sahulensis or Melanotaenia praecox? Personally, Sahulensis are healthier fish and are small but lovely. If you can get them, they're a great option. (Sometimes sold as maccullochi as well, but true maccullochi are also a great option!)

These would at the very least NOT eat your harlies. Can't promise on shrimp, even Amano, but you can attempt and see since they're a smaller rainbow species.

They'd work with the rest of your stock and not overstock the tank either.

Alternatively can't go wrong with pseudomugil gertrudae, they'd be great with both the shrimp and harlies, though they're small, like harlies. But they're good "rainbow" options too
what if I did 12 celebes rainbows along with the list above minus the boesemans?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Hmm, I've never kept celebes rainbows. They are pretty & of the right size for your tank...I'm not sure about their water parameter preferences, sounds like they like hard-ish water or even brackish...I have no suggestions about them. You need more info either from AC members or online...wait! What are your tap water parameters?

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
what if I did 12 celebes rainbows along with the list above minus the boesemans?
Celebe's would work with your stock plan, minus the boese :) provided your water isn't too acidic for their needs. But not brackish.
Assuming you mean these lovelies?

Good taste!

Another good contender are threadfins

railer20

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Kansas
Hmm, I've never kept celebes rainbows. They are pretty & of the right size for your tank...I'm not sure about their water parameter preferences, sounds like they like hard-ish water or even brackish...I have no suggestions about them. You need more info either from AC members or online...wait! What are your tap water parameters?
last check - Tap Kh-3, Gh-8, Ph-7.6-7.8

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store