Tiger Barb Breeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Liquid_Pyro

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
Attempting to spawn my tiger barbs again, its been almost 6 months since I did it last time,

I have 10 tiger barbs, 4 female and 6 males, so I removed 4 females from my 40 gallon tank and put them in an established 10 gallon tank, they have been in the 10 gallon for 7 days now and they barely eat and are not fat with eggs anymore, I am concerned for their health.

The plan was to separate the males from females for 2 weeks of conditioning on high quality flake food, white worms, blood worms and brine shrimp, but they are loosing weight not gaining it.

What can I do?

I have bred them before, but never ran into this problem

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
Have you tested the water? I know you said the tank was established, but maybe something is amiss with the water? I guess first thing I would do is test water and maybe do a water change. Other than not eating and losing weight, are they showing any other signs of illness?

Emily

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
I agree with testing the water. Four mature female tiger barbs is a heavy load for a 10 gal tank. Especially if the goal is to feed them heavily to condition them and they aren't eating well - maybe you have some food decomposing too...

Good luck breeding them!
wren

Liquid_Pyro

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
The water should be perfect, as its been running for months with a few guppies, changing 40% of the water weekly, and when I swapped out the guppies for the barbs, I started changing 25% of the water daily

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
Just because the water should be perfect doesn't mean it is. The only way to know for sure is to test it. Do you have a test kit? The freshwater master test kit by API (liquid test kit), is a really good one. You should get one and test your water.

Emily

Liquid_Pyro

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
Yes I have the API kit, would water quality be the only problem that would cause my barbs to be shy and not eat? I had floating plants and a cave for them to hide in.

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
There may be many reasons your barbs are shy and not eating, but water quality is a likely culprit, and it's the easiest to rule in or out. If you have a test kit, test the water, and you will know if that's your problem. If the tests are good, then you can look for other problems.

Emily

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store