Tiger Barbs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JP457

AC Members
Nov 30, 2002
Visit site
My fish are listed in the sig. I wanted to add Tiger barbs to the mix. would there be any problems? Im not realy worried about bullying as much as neons being eaten

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
You know those pectoral "feelers" on gouramis? I wouldn't get Tiger Barbs unless you think that they need a trim.

Seriously, don't flame--"trimming" the pectoral fins on gouramis is cruel, and tigers will do that for you. Thus, keeping tigers with gouramis is a bad idea.

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
Originally posted by ChilDawg
You know those pectoral "feelers" on gouramis? I wouldn't get Tiger Barbs unless you think that they need a trim.

Seriously, don't flame--"trimming" the pectoral fins on gouramis is cruel, and tigers will do that for you. Thus, keeping tigers with gouramis is a bad idea.
I couldn't agree more. Speaking from experience that will happen. I made that mistake about 15 years ago. The poor gourami's looked horrible.

The other thing is once the tigers get bigger you may find that some of your neons starting to disapear.

Tigers are quite the handful when it comes to equal and smaller sized fish that are of the peaceful temperment. They will harrass and terrorize til no end.

Not recomended.

dbcb314

Hates the Overstocking Police
Apr 12, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
if i were you i wouldnt. tigers seem to gang up on fish, especially slow moving fish. anything with long fins or feelers would probably be picked on. the tetras would probably be eaten when full size was met, and hey, they may even kill the slow moving kuhli loach (they killed my eels) so if i were you, i wouldnt get them.

aquatrippe

AC Members
Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, I agree.. would not keep tiger barbs with neons or gouramis..even if you have a school of tiger barbs [ as is often recommended to limit their aggression].. there will be one or two that just can't resist torturing the other fish..

Hatchet fish get very skittish when they are being persued or sense danger.. and they are great jumpers..

Tiger barbs are great fish, but in my experience, they are best kept with other fast moving somewhat nippy fish like themselves.

They also make a great species tank with a bunch of wisteria to set them off

JP457

AC Members
Nov 30, 2002
Visit site
From reading all that was said I dont think tiger barbs are for me. I wanted them because they are colorfull and active but I need a fish that wont kill my current fish. Any recomendations?

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
I would look into some of the Tetra species like Black Phantoms, Rummynose Tetras, Head and Tail Lites, Emperors (can be a bit touchy), Golds, Rasbora Hets, any other Rasbora, Von Rio Flames, etc. You could also look into dwarf rainbows like the Neon, Threadfin or Celebese. Hope this helps. Another fish that I loved when I had a 46 fw tank was Peacock Gudgeons (Gobies). They can be kept in freshwater or brackish. They have all colors in the rainbow and max at about 2 inches. Neat fish! Hope this helps!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store