Time to ditch the CF's and move to T-5?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

finz

AC Members
Apr 28, 2008
Houston TX
Real Name
bill roberts
Jemi29 I think you are referring to:
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forum...6500K-48-quot-LED-fixture&highlight=BeamsWork

If i'm not mistaken, he isn't using the unit for his planted tank, but instead for his 75 gal Oscar tank.
Implying that at least the unit he bought, and the lighting selection, wouldn't be appropriate for me.

Also noted some saying that the parts are somewhat cheaply made.

Summed up, the thread read helps me decide to AVOID the unit - so thx for the tip!

I did though have a look at: Freshwater Bright LED Aquarium Light 48" HI Lumen
http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquarium-Lighting-Beamswork-Tropical-Fish-p/56327.htm
and although they claim "Ideal for a freshwater fish tank", how does a freshwater tank benefit from "12x Actinic 460nm LED", let alone a planted tank?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Actinic lighting might not benefit your plants, but it can bring out certain coloration of your fish.

they could also be considered moon lights too.

finz

AC Members
Apr 28, 2008
Houston TX
Real Name
bill roberts
Actinic lighting might not benefit your plants, but it can bring out certain coloration of your fish.

they could also be considered moon lights too.
Far from benefit, thought also Actinic contributed to algae growth in a planted tank.
Of course the number of Actinic on this unit are small, but seems they can't be turned off during the day.
(And the switch doesn't seem to allow for a timer to change lighting patterns.)

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I don't think that's necessarily the case; But nor am I worried enough to research either.

Full spectrum bulbs daylight bulbs are likely to contain light in the 420-460nm wavelength, I.E. actinic.

I expect someone more knowledgeable than I will jump in at some point (Or someone that read something somewhere on the internet that may or may not have been accurate) with more information.

But my layman's understanding is that PAR is of significance, and Actinic lighting should have PAR also. The concern will be ensuring that the plants have thing they need to outcompete algae for the nutrients. I don't think a little extra light at the blue end of the spectrum will have too much effect on algae growth.

If you're so set on a specific spectrum, I'd probably suggest going with T5HO lights, and getting bulbs from the manufacturer that you currently use. If it's not broken, there's no need to fix it, and it sounds like outside of the usable life of the bulbs you're not having problems with the 65w PC lights.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
finz, like said, you can get a sweet 48" twin-tube 6500K T5H0 mailed to your door for $60, lamps included (eBay of the likes).

I recently purchased a beamswork 48" 6500K LED for my 75g. It has 72, 0.5w LEDs. I only float some wisteria and water sprite in that tank (oscar tank), but the floaters are growing in there with this setup. The beamswork fixture was $69 shipped.

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
If you were on the aquatraders site, you should have noticed that they have a lot of LED choices for planted tanks. .2, .5, 1 and 3 watt lamps in 65k and 10k + actinic (which I have personally). Algae growth caused by actinic light is an urban legend IMO. I've used 10k/actinic combos in my tank for appx four years - T5HO previously and now LED because I personally like the color and I have more algae growing in a tank that's lit with t8 65k lamps than in my 10k/actinic tank

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Some people in my plant club are going with LED retro fit for CFLs from AH Supply. The only part I'm unsure of is how to remove the ballast from your current fixture (not needed with LEDs) but I think there's instructions. But other than that they just plug in. Be worth looking into.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store