Time to Remove Shrimp during Cycle?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Very reasonable. That putty is well known to do that to skimmers. It will work itself out eventually but water changes and carbon should help.

tamz273

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
Awesome, glad someone else is on the same page as me :) Im trying to avoid carbon, planning on doing 2 50% water changes with a 2 day gap.. Hopefully that will bring the nitrates down enough and also clear up the stuff left over from the putty...

Nitrites are down to .2ppm today, hopefully 0 tomorrow and I will let the tank run a day or 2 before the first 50% water change.

tamz273

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
For anyone who's been following, or may ever reference this.. Ammonia and Nitrites dropped to 0, and my Nitrates were at around 50ppm. I did a 20-22 gal water change on my 29gal tank and added some cleanup crew. I am waiting for the water to get through all the parts till I try running the skimmer again. Hopefully the big water change has extracted most of the putty residue that got into it. Going to kick off the skimmer tonight and see the result.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Sounds good. Hope the skimmer returns to normal.

tamz273

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
Day 1 of the skimmer was horrible.. Glad it had an overflow to dump back into reservoir because the collection cup was constantly filling up with water.. Day 2 of the skimmer is much better, no longer overflowing but still pouring microbubbles into the tank.. Hoping a few more days of "break-in" will reduce/eliminate all bubbles.. Just for reference, this is a Aquamaxx HOB-1 skimmer.. I've read around and it seems like a common issue to have tons of bubbles when its first turned on..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store