Tips on 450 mile move

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MidnightSkies

AC Members
Feb 2, 2009
Well, it looks like this summer I will be moving out of state temporarily. It's about 450 miles and roughly 8 hours. I need tips on the best and easiest way to move my fish. My tanks are small, so the tanks themselves shouldn't be difficult (just take up a lot of space for the rest of the crap I need to move).

I have a Bolivian Ram, Platy, Cories, and a Betta. Might have a few more fish by the time the move comes since I won't be able to pick up any new fish where I'm going and I just had a major die off from a heater malfunction. The betta has made the trip with me before. He was extremely stressed, but I don't need to worry about air with him so it's a little easier. For the rest of the fish, would they be better off in bags or just buckets? I'm worried if I leave them in buckets they might get knocked around too much or run out of air. My tanks are planted so throwing the plants in with them should help somewhat I hope.

I just definitely need any helpful tips for this situation to make things less stressful and to be more prepared. Also keep in mind that the drive itself is 8 hours, but probably add a couple extra for taking down the tank and then putting it back up at the new place. Oh yeah, and I'll be doing the exact same thing again next year to come back here... Joy!

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I prefer to bag them up, preferably bagging each fish seperately, being sure to add oxygen. Then put all of the bags into a small styrofoam cooler or ice chest.
They should arrive in good shape and relatively unstressed, as they will be slumbering in the dark during the trip.

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
I think gmh has the right idea. Bag them with oxygen and make sure they do not get overheated or undercooled during the drive. If they can survive days in the mail I think you will make it alright.

MidnightSkies

AC Members
Feb 2, 2009
Thanks for the tips. I suppose I might go the bagging route then. I was hoping a bucket would work, but I would rather the fish get there healthy. Not sure where I'm going to get oxygen though. Hopefully Petsmart will let me have a couple bags if they're feeling generous. Well, at least after all this moving I should be able to upgrade my tanks.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Bucket or rubbermaid chest...get a battery operated air pump or one that runs off an inverter....

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
However you choose to pack them, starve them for 2 or 3 days before the move.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Minimize ammonia build up from waste...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store