To be SAE or not to be..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Yeah those pictures look more like an SAE then the previous ones.

@jappy: I guess learned something new today. :) I was just going off of my personal experience and what I have been told in the past.
I thought the same thing too until I read some posts a little while ago on a planted tank forum (forgot which one) that some people had true SAE's without the black extending all the way through. But I may be wrong...who knows:grinyes:

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks for the confirmation.
Many stores here have them labeled as Flying Foxes or Algae eaters and since most actually care the true flying foxes one seems to ignore the tanks once they see the name.. Good thing i actually stopped by and stood there for 10-15 min infront of the tank trying to figure out if it was anything similar to an SAE...

gustavo85

AC Members
Jan 23, 2008
Puerto Rico
This lil guy wasnt in the tank for even a few hours and already is going crazy at the algae. I had what looked like some staghorn algae on my ferns, I just went back to see how hes doing, and all you see is him devouring it like a vaccum lol Now im wondering since I got a positive ID on him, if i should get more.
That's why they're great! Never doubted it was a pure SAE!!

NattyNatty

AC Members
Aug 23, 2008
I'm 95% sure its a CAE

The middle line doesn't go past the base of the tail...at least from what the picture shows on the first post.

CAEs eat algae as well, they just get aggressive later that's all and don't eat algae as much, but then again I have SAEs that don't do squat much either.

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I'm 95% sure its a CAE

The middle line doesn't go past the base of the tail...at least from what the picture shows.

CAEs eat algae as well, they just get aggressive later that's all and don't eat algae as much, but then again I have SAEs that don't do squat much either.
really lol nattynatty i hope you are just kidding

check out more photos on page 2 :silly:

Last edited:

NattyNatty

AC Members
Aug 23, 2008
really lol nattynatty i hope you are just kidding:wall:
Well I didn't scroll down alright!

First picture looked like a CAE

but later on it does look like a SAE, as long as it also has barbs at the front of its mouth. If it doesn't, its neither CAE, SAE or firefox...I mean flying fox.

NattyNatty

AC Members
Aug 23, 2008
okay natty ty
You're welcome!

Dang you're lucky to have a knowledgable friend like me. I need to get paid here :grinyes:.

I'm just messing. Np man, I'm bored I need to find a movie or something...I wonder what movie I should illegally download now..:silly:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store