to moonlight or not to moonlight...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rxdoc_85

AC Members
Mar 9, 2008
st. louis, missouri
so...on my light fixture there's a moonlight function, and i've seen said function mentioned in some recent posts. i just thought it was some extra, fancy thing, but is this something that i need to be sure is on at night every night? i've had it on some nights, but not every night. i don't have any corals yet...but i'm not sure if that makes a difference...

dolfans1

I'm a victim of coicumstance!
Jun 15, 2005
Safety Harbor, FL
I don't think you need to have the moonlights on for the fish's benefit, but one of my favorite times to watch the tank is at night when only the moonlights are on. It's like a different world. If you have them, I'd definitely recommend using them.

rxdoc_85

AC Members
Mar 9, 2008
st. louis, missouri
thanks guys! i figured it was just to watch the tank at night without disturbing the life in the tank, i just wanted to make sure it wasn't something i needed to do for the health of everything in the tank.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
The only time i have ever seen moon lights used to full effect is when i saw an aquarium where all their lighting was setup to actually match the years moon cycle...Its was done with the spawing issue in mind...For me, as a general aquarists, i feel they are just their for our viewing pleasure...

Boltster

AC Members
Dec 4, 2007
I use mine in conjunction with 3 timers. One for the moonlights. One for the dusk/dawm lights that stay on all day. The other timer controls the main lights, which stay on for about 6-7 hours a day. Once they're set, it's gravy.

Dustin83

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
Orange County, CA
I also agree that it's purely for viewing pleasure. As matter of fact, I have seen my fish still awake and swimming around in the middle of the night because of the moonlight... whereas they would hide in the rocks and not come out in the complete darkness...

I guess it's up to personal preference but I don't use it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store