Toad Stool Leather Water Flow

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sapgranth25

AC Members
May 25, 2006
Sheffield uk
I`ve had a leather toad stool coral for 6 plus months its about 4 inch tall & the disc is around 4inch in diameter.

During this time i`ve noticed the leather is not 100% happy all the time as some days the polyps are out & extended fully & some days it comes out for a while then for no reason retracts all the polyps & sits there without no polyps showing say during a week its looking great 3 days out of 7 so i`m missing something i gathered

A, water flow
its in a mild to medium flow of water just skimming the disc where the polyps come from.

B, lighting
the toad stool is sitting on the sand bed in my 18" deep tank & i have 4 x 54watt t5`s 2 marine white 2 antics.

C, temp
26c-27c

all my water checks are fine never had a problem so thats not it.....

if you have any ideas please help
thanks

toad stool 9999.JPG

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
I have the same toad as you but mine is larger.. I have him high up on the rocks and in a high flow area. I have 175w MH lights and the only time his polyps retract is when I have to blow off sand because my goby has gotten to active with his eating and a lot has landed on his crown or at night.. (sometimes)..

sapgranth25

AC Members
May 25, 2006
Sheffield uk
Thanks for your reply i`ll have a look around my tank today to see if i can put it higher & within more flow....

Have you got your toad stool`s stalk up straight are has your toad stool had to bend its stalk so the cap is facing towards the light??

At the moment my toad stools stalk is perfect & straight just wondering if they go on uneven rocks will they bend there stalks towards the light??

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
No my stalk goes straight up, but then I have suspended MH lights over the tank. Just make sure you get him in such a way that he doesn't have to bend to far.. You might have to rearrange a little but they will bend where they want. At night he will sometimes completely bend over..

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
I used to keep mine at the bottom of the tank in the sand. Then I moved it half way up in more direct current and I can't believe the change. It's now massive and has started attaching itself to the rocks behind it and it's polyps are out every day. Best move I ever did!!!!

Before - In old tank under low lighting
tank April 006.jpg

After - In current tank under halides and in front of a Koralia 4!!!!
2007_1026cameranew0019.JPG
2007_1029cameranew0026.JPG

tank April 006.jpg 2007_1026cameranew0019.JPG 2007_1029cameranew0026.JPG

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Nice to see your toadstool CPD.. Yeah mine also likes being right in front of my K3.. In fact it sometimes gets upset when I turn the system off for things like feedings for my fish etc.. But otherwise I do believe a good flow is good idea for these guys.

counrygirl

AC Members
Feb 12, 2007
hey your tood stool looks great I have one not doing that good had it up toward the top but when I put the other lights one my tank it looked bad ( lights are t12 10000,white t12actrinic)the color changed from a light brown to a blueish color so I was wondering if the lights was the problem will try to give more water flow tomorrow and see if that will help and wait for a responce on here about the lights thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store