Too many snails

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cschilly

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Taylorville, IL
I have a problem... my tank is overrun with Malaysian trumpet snails. I bought maybe 40 of them last year I'd say I now have anywhere from 5000 - 5 million. lol.

Does anyone have any suggestions on culling the herd? I don't want to totally rid the tank of them. They seem to do a good job of keeping my sand bed aerated. I just would like to be able to see the sand that's under all those stinkin' MTS.....

tmlclone

AC Members
Dec 19, 2010
make more friends and send them gifts XD

i read from previous post, more food = more MTS

Jody

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
Newfoundland, Canada
Yes cut down on the feeding, assassin snails will help but think well well only keep them in check and it would be a long time before they eat that many. Maybe just pick and dump but i would never do it :)

GL M8

cschilly

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Taylorville, IL
Yeah I'd like to try the loaches. In fact I picked one up today to see how it would do in the tank but I don't think it made it. I have really high pH in the tank, around 8.5. I acclimated it as slow as I could but it didn't look like it was doing too good and I can't find it now. (Tank is 130 gallon w/ 13 juvenile frontosa)

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
It all depends on the tank size. Clown loaches are own of the common reccomended snail eaters, but really aren't suitable for anything except for a big tank (they get 12")

I would reccomend cutting back on feedings and adding some assasain snails. I would buy 5-10 ish, and let them do their job. You won't lose many at first, but as their population builds the pest snails will decrease in number. Eventually (1-2 year maybe) your assassains may eat all the pests.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Yeah I'd like to try the loaches. In fact I picked one up today to see how it would do in the tank but I don't think it made it. I have really high pH in the tank, around 8.5. I acclimated it as slow as I could but it didn't look like it was doing too good and I can't find it now. (Tank is 130 gallon w/ 13 juvenile frontosa)
sorry, I missed this part! What species of loach is it? I personally keep my weather loach in a low PH, I don't have much experience in a higher one with loaches. Keep in mind that loaches are scaleless, and can be killed easier by medication (even if they aren't sick). Many also prefer a low tank temp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store