Too Much light?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dingraha

Fish Fondler
Aug 21, 2008
South Jersey
Hey all,
I just changed just about everything in my 55gal. african tank. I changed all of my rocks to lava rock (some of wich I already had in the tank), changed my substrate to sand, and added some plants.

I have two large java fern bunches and one small one, two nice anubias nana's and some java moss. (all are tied to rocks). I realized even though they are all "low" light plants, my 48" regular 40w of fluorescent light was not gonna cut it.

SOOO... I went ahead and bought a 130watt light fixture off of ebay. It comes with 2 65w 50/50 bulbs. (I know they are meant for a reef). and was wondering if it is too much light or if I should be adding ferts and/or co2. (If I should be adding ferts, please tell me what/how often/how much and if I should be adding co2, I would most likely be going the diy yeast method).

Any input/ suggestions??!! Thanks!

**Pics soon to come**

Last edited:

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
well first you would want to upgrade the bulbs to 6700 or 10000K. 130w over a 55g isnt alot. And yes you would need to add a carbon source and ferts if you dont want algae.

For co2 you can try diy but for a tank this size you would need minimum 1-2 3L bottles. You can also look into pressurized if money allows..

For ferts you can try either Seachem Flourish line or go for dry ferts from rex rigg. You would need Trace, nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus

dingraha

Fish Fondler
Aug 21, 2008
South Jersey
thanks for the response bk. The 50/50 bulbs are 50% actintic and 50% 10,000k right? do I still need to switch bulbs?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store