topsoil as substrate?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
i have soil in the bottom of one of my tanks. i made it into mud first(looks like you got mud in there..hehehe) then i put a layer of sand about 1" and then i put some fine natural gravel on top of that(for looks) i never plant my plants directly into the soil, i plant them into the sand/gravel. they will find the soil on their own quite quickly as the roots grow. i've never had any issues with this method. i do have mts in the tank to keep the subterate from going bad though.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Imagine having MTS in there. They dig to deep and they fall out of the ground/sky lol. I wonder if top soil has been used why not soil from the garden that hasn't been treated for insects or with fertalizers for a long time? Would that work? I noticed after all our rain here that the water looked really clear when the debris settled back down. I should try it... Plants only first though.

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
you could use soil from the ground somewhere as long as you are certain that it doesnt have chemicals etc in it. I've read of people using marshland soil also which works great.

One thing that no one mentioned yet afaik is that there is a mineralizing process that is usually done with topsoil before putting it in the tank. The concept is to soak it/dry it out repeat repeat repeat out on a tarp which basically breaks down the organics for you so you don't have the ammonia spikes etc. Most recipes also call for a bit of dolomite, clay, and potash to be added in when the soil goes into the tank.

Also it helps to screen the topsoil and remove any pieces of wood. A simple google for MTS (mineralized topsoil) should yield plenty of recipes and methods.

Dieprophezeiung

^^ also my gamertag
Jul 13, 2010
auburn, alabama
Real Name
Charlie
Also it helps to screen the topsoil and remove any pieces of wood. A simple google for MTS (mineralized topsoil) should yield plenty of recipes and methods.
Thanks. Yea Im gonna dump and the tank and try this mts. Soling floating haven of substrate. I am still gonna try the upsidedown planted tank one day tho. :D

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
hahaha upside down planted tank would be crazy if it worked lol

tomandrews86

AC Members
May 1, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Putting sand or another substrate material over top of the soil is essential or you will never be able to work in your tank without causing a murky muddy mess. In the past I have found that some potting soil you buy comes almost bone dry and can be difficult to dampen - it just floats to the top of the water and doesn't absorb it. Living with my girlfriend who is a horticulturist we go through a fair bit of soil and we've discovered sometimes it is best to put the earth in a bucket and slowly stir in water, sometimes even "kneading" it with our hands to get it mixed in. I imagine using dampened earth could solve your floating soil issue.

Dieprophezeiung

^^ also my gamertag
Jul 13, 2010
auburn, alabama
Real Name
Charlie
I accualy live next to a stocked pond. Think I could use some soil dug up from there?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store