Treatment for my Clown Loach

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

clstewart

Hifi_Samurai
Mar 20, 2007
Long Beach, CA
I currently have three clown loaches who live in a 55g tank with about a dozen other (mostly small) fish. Within the past week, my largest clown who is normally very active and robust has become lethargic, breathing hard, has no appetite, and is flashing occasionally. I've tried using a half dosage of parasite clear fizz tabs by jungle, which didn't seem to help. I've also purchased some medicated fishfood for parasites that he won't eat. I'm not sure what else to do. Even though there is no indication that he has ick (haven't seen any spots whatsoever), I can't think of nothing else but to turn the heat up to 88 degrees (it is normally set at 82). I normally do a small partial water change of approx 10% every day, and a gravel vacuuming every other day. My ammonia and nitrate levels are at zero. Any ideas about what might be wrong with my sick loach, or how to treat him?

:help:

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Internal parasites or bacterial infection. Turn your heat back down to your normal temp and treat with an internal parasite or bacterial med safe for loaches. I'd most likely use Pimafix and Melafix, but ask around to be sure they are safe with loaches. There's no need to do water changes every day. Do 25-50% weekly and vac the gravel while doing that.

Last edited:

discus3

AC Members
Feb 3, 2006
treat with metrozol,keep the heat up and some mor oxygen to the water vis airstones when clears up go back to normal heat

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Since what you described maybe symptoms few diffrent types of infections, that is if an infection, I would not know what to recommend at this point.

What is pH? Is your pH constant?

Since you already started increased heat method, why not continue for few more days and observe? When did you increase temp?

Provided your water condition are within reason/steady, I would not increase frequency of water changes. I would just stick to your routine maintenance schedule.
Fish under stress have to utilize more energy (energy which can be used to combat intruders) to cope with sudden/constant water changes thus fish in question may weaken faster with time, especially when not eating. Well, this is with an assumption water parameters are within ideal conditions.

It may be difficult but pic/vid possible?

EmilyMarie85

AC Members
Aug 16, 2010
Boise, ID
Real Name
Emily
lol - how'd that happen?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store