trimming corals

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
i was wondering if trimming corals is even possible, for instants lets say you have a large piece of live rock with a 8x8 section of favia on it and now its to close to your mushies and is starting to attack, you dont want to cut that nice big piece of live rock. is it possible to just use a dremal and cut the sections of favia and then peel them/ pry them off so the area is lets say 4x4. i just think it would be pointless for my to be spending 5.99 a pound for live rock if in the end i will just have to cut it up and buy more.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
The term you are looking for is "fragging".

Not sure how it'd work with a Favia, but with a lot of corals that is exactly what you do.

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Real Name
Ben
really? so its really not all that bad

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I would move the "mushies", they are easier to move. You can just chip off that piece of rock too.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
The best way to frag a facia is with a bandsaw. A dremel gets hot. If you try the dremel, get the diamond blade cutting bit and keep poring water on the coral as you cut it. This necessitates the best cordless dremel you can buy to avoid electrocuting yourself.

Maybe your LFS or reef club has a bandsaw.

Some other corals can be cut with bone cutters and even scissors.

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Real Name
Ben
ohh, but if you have a rock thats 8 in thick you pretty much destroy it

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
An experienced reefer with a good band saw can cut that but yes, some of the rock may need to be cut away first.

It really depends on the species of zoa you want to cut. Some of the smaller japanese zoos don't take well to being cut often and they should really stay in the same tank for a while after being cut. Some are very durable and you can easily trim a polyp or two off at about any time/size. Be careful cutting zoos and plays. May be overkill for some but I would suggest eye protection and gloves. Wash your hands at a minimum after handling them.

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Real Name
Ben
there should be a sticky for coral fraging

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store