Turning FW fish SW

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Upon further research I agree that my definition of euryhaline was in error. Now if you could just admit that categorizing a fish found naturally in every type of water from fresh to hypersaline as brackish is incorrect all the misinformation generated in this thread will be dispelled.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Upon further research I agree that my definition of euryhaline was in error. Now if you could just admit that categorizing a fish found naturally in every type of water from fresh to hypersaline as brackish is incorrect all the misinformation generated in this thread will be dispelled.
Yes, "true" brackish wasn't the right term for me to use and wasn't indicative of the actual lifestyles of these fish in relation to their respective habitats.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
One other note you make mention of fish which as juveniles are sold as brackish but as adults require marine conditions. These fish are no more true marines than they are true brackish fish. The proper term is anadromous. Monodactylus sps. and Nerite Snails are the most commonly kept examples of this type of organism and Salmon are probably the most widely known examples. Remember that even if there are a few pieces of paper under your computer calling it a paperweight would still be inaccurate!

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I am aware of that. Thank you.

It was mainly directed at fish that never see brackish conditions again as adults.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Which species are you specifically referring to? I am unaware of any true marines commonly marketed as brackish. And any adult anadromous fish will most certainly see brackish conditions at least once more in its life if it survives long enough to reproduce.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Which species are you specifically referring to? I am unaware of any true marines commonly marketed as brackish. And any adult anadromous fish will most certainly see brackish conditions at least once more in its life if it survives long enough to reproduce.
No need. Search the term amphidromous.

Edit: Practically all marine fish (minus some sharks) can tolerate brackish conditions for extended periods of time. Should we start calling them brackish as well or start keeping them in it? You are really going in circles here and it beginning to be unproductive to the thread. Where are you going with this, exactly, short of trying to prove me wrong?

Last edited:

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Actually I see a need. But I also understand why you don't. The proper term for it is "premise switching". Look it up.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I asked you for the specific examples of fish sold as brackish that are actually marine. You refused to give any and simply switched the premise of the debate. That says more than anything I can post.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Actually I see a need. But I also understand why you don't. The proper term for it is "premise switching". Look it up.
I don't see any premise switching, but I see a lot of circular argument with only one intent in mind. You would have never recalled any of the subject had you not been trying to prove me wrong, which seems to be your goal, now that I see your attitude. I suggest you find other threads to derail with your seemingly personal grudges. I won't indulge you any further, I am afraid.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I don't see any premise switching, but I see a lot of circular argument with only one intent in mind. You would have never recalled any of the subject had you not been trying to prove me wrong, which seems to be your goal, now that I see your attitude. I suggest you find other threads to derail with your seemingly personal grudges. I won't indulge you any further, I am afraid.
As a moderator I do and quite rightly so hold you to a higher standard than other forum members. If you post inaccurate info, as you did in this thread then yes I will call you on it. And if you try to backpeddle, sidestep, or switch premises instead of just admitting the mistake then I will keep on pushing until you either admit your inaccuracy as you did on the one point or allow your fear to get the best of you and do what you did on the other error. There are many people here who will accept your word as gospel because of the position you hold here, and if you fully understood your responsibilities you would take the extra care to be certain of what you post out of respect for them. Before you get the idea that I'm some sort of internet bully you should be aware that in two weeks I have a court date to testify on a private complaint that I brought against a police officer who failed to signal a turn while leisurely driving in front of me. Regular drivers do it all the time and all I do is think "what an inconsiderate sphincter!" But when it's done by someone with the responsibility and authority to enforce the law being broken further measures are called for. As long as you or any other mod posts inaccurate info I will hold their feet to the fire, until your fear gets the best of you again and you admit defeat and ban me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store